nell

can anyone tell me about the ls nell kit?

Reply to
someone

Perfectly fine kit kit with interior detail and IIRC a bomb bay. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Not as good as Hasegawa's, and the decals are probably curled by now. Good mid-70's kit.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

yes, was wondering if it ws ok. the sunk in holes looked odd. you can hang bombs outside, too.

Reply to
someone

decals are fresh. they were in the instructions which are yellow!

Reply to
someone

Is this the LS Laboratories kit? They were nice kits for their time but were all 1/75th scale.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

1/75? so it goes in the oddball scal display with the lindbergs.
Reply to
someone

I never let three digits bother me that much in that small a scale. I think I have L-S's Judy sitting finished (?!) on the shelf with the other Japanese types in 1/72. The larger the scale though, the more anomalous things look. The Monogram '58 Thunderbird and the AMT '60 look funny next to one another and they're only 1 digit apart (1/24 - 1/25).

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

yeah, you're right. it is a very small % and i bet no one but a nit picky rms'er would tell.

Reply to
someone

Uh, Bill, the ratio of 1/72 to 1/75 is exactly the same as the ratio of

1/24 to 1/25. If the scale discrepancy seems less obvious with the aircraft, could that be due to disparate prototype sizes (as compared to relatively uniform car sizes) rather than scale ratios?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Ah, not quite. The Nells are 1/72 scale. The Ki-67 series are rumoured to be off in scale but I haven't been able to substantiate any of it. A lot of these modeling rumours come from used kit dealers who are trying to make a sale.

Kinda like the used car dealer who tells you that you don't want a red car.

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

i'm concerned about the surface. are the sunk in rivet holes correst?

Reply to
someone

The sunk rivets are not that much of a problem.

However, many of the LS kits have a sunken area to show where to locate the decals. This is a pisser to fix.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

The Judy's and Oscar's are the ones I remember that had that feature. A dremel or Mr Surfacer fixed that. The Nells, Peggies, and Dinahs were all quite good. If you don't like the rivets just fill with body putty or Mr Surfacer and wipe off with alchohol. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

thanks, it does. i want to find some surface detail photos to see if paint will bring them to scale.

Reply to
someone

so i guess the old eyeball test will have to do. did you build one, bill? did you fill it?

Reply to
someone

Good luck. I don't say there aren't any out there but photographic documentation of Japanese planes is thin on the ground in English and occasionally grainy.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

You might be right Mark. Parking a 1/24th Duesy next to a 1/25th Ford doesn't give away the scale discrepancy. The Judy sits surrounded by other types so if there is a scale difference it's not as noticeable.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'll have to dig out my original LS Nells, but I seem to remember the 1/75 as the scale given on the box art and/or instructions. I built the when they were new and thought that the recessed rivets were really cool. Now I would take a lttle time to seal them.

Later releases of the LS Nells stated that they were 1/72. Kind of like Airfix calling all of their old 1/76 armor 1/72.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I owned the kit for 30 years but never built it. I picked it up at a hobby shop here on special. I got it and the Ki.67 for $5. Nope, didn't get the other one built either.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller