Next new Dogfights

12/29, 10pm Dogfights: 08 - Death of the Japanese Navy

"In one of the most amazing yet lopsided naval battles in history, a mighty Japanese fleet led by the Yamato, the biggest battleship in the world, versus Taffy 3, a small U.S. task unit of tin can destroyers and baby flat-tops. The U.S. fleet is made up of ships too weak to fight and too slow to run. David battles Goliath in a fight for survival, with the lives of thousands of American soldiers in the balance. We will recreate this famous battle using state of the art computer graphics. Viewers will feel like they're in the battle, facing the enemy."

Next week are two reruns: Hell over Hanoi and MigAlley

Reply to
tomcervo

Does anyone else notice that they seem to be almost avoiding WWII European air conflict? Other than specific encounters involving Robin Olds in his P-38 and the Mustang vs 109 in the two hour premier, there has been almost nothing. We've had 4 epps on Vietnam and this upcoming show is the third on the US vs Japan. What's up with that?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

The US air war in Europe was mostly bomber escort until air superiority was gained. The air war in the Pacific was mostly carrier based from day one.

Reply to
Willshak

One thing that seems to drive this show is having the original participants there to interview and present their side of events. Many of the more famous WWII ETO aces are gone now, and therefore it's hard to present their stories as they have to rely on secondary or tertiary sources.

Guess you will not see anything on Bong, McGuire, Gabreski, or some of the other best-known AAF pilots, nor David McCampbell.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

That's a good reason to watch it--I'd rather see five minutes of Tex Hill and "There I was . . ." than an hour of breathless narration from an actor.

Reply to
tomcervo

Didn't notice it until you mentioned it. While the airwar ETO summer '43 to June '44 is my favorite period of study, it's great to see them covering stuff like the Korean War and F-8s over Vietnam. IMO, those are two areas that have never gotten the coverage they deserve in books or media.

I've got no gripes about the series other than it's seems they try to drag things out a bit to be able to fill an hour.

Michael

Reply to
jitterthug

ISTR one of the original segments (four in one show, IIRC) was a WWI air battle (and I keep hoping for more). I don't think having the original participants is a program requirement, although it obviously helps.

-- C.R. Krieger

Reply to
C.R. Krieger