Pegasus German Army Trucks

I've recently seen a kit made by Pegasus who, I think, make model soldiers. It contains two German trucks of WW2 in 1/72nd scale. I gather that they're "quick build" kits on the lines of Armorfast kits. I'm curious about these trucks as I haven't been able to identify them using the rather limited Wehrmacht references available to me. They could be Opels but the radiator is too upright and the cab shape seems wrong. The Mercedes Benz 3000L is nearer in shape and there is a Borgward that might match but the radiator shape isn't right.

Does anyone know what these trucks are and whether the kit is worth buying? It sems cheap enough if the models are reasonably accurate.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Thanks, Tom. I'd hoped they might represent some other type that I couldn't identify. They're tormentingly familiar looking without quite matching any one type. With at least four Opel kits available in 1/72 scale, it would be nice to have a decent model of another make. A Ford V3000S would be nice, especially as it could be converted to one of the US Fords of the period. That said, it's surprising how much the German vehicle differed in detail from the American original.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

There are a lot of German trucks in 1/72-1/76 out there. Six different Ford V3000s even. What I want is a kit (or kits) of the classic 1940 Ford with short and long wheelbases, coupe, sedan/staff car , station wagon, pickup truck, van, etc. Truck Models does a 1940 Ford Pickup in cast resin to 1/76. I havn't seen it, but I would really prefer 1/72 and injection molded. Hell, I can even market it under our MAI label if someone can do the masters.

BTW, there are over 5,200 vehicles in our ESM 72 database and it grows almost daily.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I was thinking of injection moulded plastic kits. I know there are huge numbers of kits in resin and metal covering the less common types but I can't afford them these days and the quality varies widely. The figure of

5,200 vehicles doesn't altogether surprise me although I doubt if I've heard of more than a fraction of the kit manufacturers involved.

How do you keep up?

Gord>> Thanks, Tom. I'd hoped they might represent some other type that I >> couldn't

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Well, it consumes an hour or two almost every day, usually after a little work on a model while the paint/glue/putty dries. I get most of the model magazines, haunt the web sites and go through the catalogs. When we did the original book there were a few thousand aircraft kits with far fewer vehicles, figures, etc. Now there are over 16,000 aircraft and tens of thousands of other subjects. Most difficult are figures. While there are more than 4300 entries in the database, many are sets including as many as fifty pieces. Mark Levine has helped tremendously over the years.

Over the last few years there has been a rise in the release of new kits that is just astounding. In spite of the doomsayers this is truely a golden age of modeling. The only serious problem has been the aging of the modeling community while we see few youngsters entering the hobby. The IPMS Make-and-Take program has been an inspired idea. Our local chapter has seen scores of kids take part in the program with several new members and more kids showing up in the hobby shops.

All things come to those who wait. What I am hoping for is a multiple kit from Academy in their vehicle series. A 1940 Ford staff car with whatever the hell they want to go with it. I'm good for a half dozen to modify. If that happens the after-market folks should jump on the conversion kit bandwagon and I can fill my shelves with '40 Fords. :-)

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Tom, I'm astonished and impressed.

Good luck with the new survey on decals.

Gord>> I was thinking of injection moulded plastic kits. I know there are huge

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin