Question about Trumpeter Swordfish Rigging

never used PE rigging before. Can it be cut off the sheet with an x- acto blade?

and can the rough area from the cut be smoothed out with a sanding stick?

and I guess I am screwed if I bend on of them, right? If memory serves, its next to impossible to get a kink out of metal like this.

thx - Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Yes - I like to use a square tipped blade and a hammer (a jeweler's technique) but you can also use a rounded blade and rock it through. Which technique you use may depend on the metal the etch is made from - either works nicely on brass, but if the metal is a bit harder the hammer technique is not only more precise, but also faster.

I use a needle file - and only forward strokes...pulling back on a snage can cause an unwanted bend...

Yes...mostly. Depends on how bad the kink is. Sometimes you can roll ot out with a hunk of dowel and a hard, flat plate - glass, plexi, or a counter top.

Reply to
Rufus

thx much. what do you use for a cutting base? will a sheet of plywood work?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

if it isn't pre painted, heat can help with your method.

Reply to
someone

I have a scrap chunk of 1/4" clear plexi sheet that I use for a lot of stuff - that works best, and I can move it around on my bench. You need something hard, that won't chip but yet will give a bit under the blade.

My fav etch cutting tool is a #17 X-Acto blade without the handle, and a small hammer. Put the part under a fingertip to keep it from flying, then nibble the fret away with the blade. Very precise, and fery fast once you get the hang of it.

Reply to
Rufus

Musicman59 wrote: : : and can the rough area from the cut be smoothed out with a sanding : stick? : I like to use a small chisel stone. It is smooth, so it will not grab the PE on the tree connector, which is a problem with a Dremel abrasive wheel stone.

A few strokes with the part parallel to the longetudinal axis should clean up the PE quite nicely. : : and I guess I am screwed if I bend on of them, right? If memory : serves, its next to impossible to get a kink out of metal like this. : You can remove the kink, but typically you wind up stretching the metal. That is the real problem.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

urden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

A really good set of surgical type straight blades scissors works best for me. Also the Tamiya scissors work well. C. Davis, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Reply to
Ol' 45

turn off your html!

Reply to