Ramped Carrier Decks

have only Great Britain and Russia used ramped deck carriers?
Is this design only for the use of jump jets? The Squadron link below
shows the russian carrier with Mig-29's and am wondering how well they take off on such a deck....and if it is a better way than why has the USA not tried it....
Just curious btwn bites of Doritos and a bologna sandwich at my desk at work.
Craig
Im sure the RN we modified to allow SHARs to take off with its heavier load, could be wrong, i usually am

Well the RN is planning two "real" carriers and France has one and is planning a second. Also Brasil has an ex French carrier.
--
Claus Gustafsen
Strandby, Danmark

Is France going to build the second one before or after the first one is serviceable?

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
Your guess is as goos as mine Al, maybe they have learned how to make the propeller blades stay on the propellor this time! It seems that they intend to cooperate with the brits and build a conventional fueled one now.
--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark

Running one of the best naval fighters ever!
Even though it is not supersonic the Sea Harrier is still one of the best naval fighters ever built
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:39:28 +0000 (UTC), "Martin \(Please note

Too bad they're all prematurely headed for the scrap heap. :(

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
Martin (Please note spammers email address used) wrote:

Attack aircraft, probably...fighter?..not even close.
--
- Rufus

Based on the Harrier's success in the Falklands, 'fighter' is not too much of a stretch. 22 year down the road, it still might be employede tactically in a similar manner against a combatant with subsonic attack aircraft.
Mark Schynert
Mark Schynert wrote:

If you've ever watched one fight a REAL fighter (F-15, for example) you'd know that it's past it's prime. A Harrier pilot needs to sucker a true fighter into a pretty untennable position to gain an advantage.
"Further on down the road" any country's air force is going to be taken out with cruise missiles prior to even getting airborne...at least that's certainly the way the most recent conflicts have gone...
Yes - Harriers against A-4s, F-5's, Hunters, etc..."fair" fight. Not so against a modern fighter with a full-on radar system and the weapons to employ. The Night Attack Harrier IS probably the best attack jet ever fielded, IMO...but it's still not a genuine world-class "fighter".
--
- Rufus

writes:

The Tornado, and F 15 E outclass it in every way...............
Azzz1588 wrote:

Not when it comes to the Close Air Support mission. The Tornado has just now incorporated Night Attack capability, and the Eagle doen't hold a candle to the A-10.
The closest equal to the Night Attack Harrier is, and probably always will be, the A-10 in the CAS arena.
--
- Rufus

I aggree with everything you say, but the issue was framed by me strictly in terms of subsonic opponents. No way the Harrier can be expected to have any chance against a type with, what, twelve times the thrust, and three times the speed?
The cruise missile issue is well-noted. It goes beyond questioning the viability of Harriers, though, by raising the issue of whether any maritime unit/TF without substantial AM defense has any chance of surviving. And pre-emptive strikes are notorious for disabling air forces that rely on fixed facilities--the Harrier, being more easily dispersable, might better survive such attacks on land.
As you say, it's dated in the fighter role, but I don't think the concept is--it's pity the Brits haven't made more of an attempt to follow on.
Mark Schynert
1. The Harrier would be dispersed to forward areas in any conflict. They would be hard to find and expensive to take out with cruise even when found.
2. The Argentine fighters were taken out by Harriers VIFing and putting a missle up the tail of the fighters as the passed by. The faster the enemy the more pronounced the effect.
3. With the next generation missiles in developement you just need to get the system in the air and fire them. The target needs to out run the missle, not the plane that fired it. The Harrier of course can VIF and hard to aquire as a target.
4. At 33000 pounds over weight the JSF does not fulfill its design specs. cannot VIF and too heavy the fly from any current or planned carriers other than the American super carriers.
5.The next generation carriers planned for the RN will be built in conjunction with France and their new carrier.
6.France would not buy American aircraft for them at any price, so an uprated Harrier, that has been mooted, could become a reality, and with a bigger market for the Worlds navies than that for the JSF, if it goes into production.
6. We shall all have to wait and see.
wrote:

Between
carrier.
best
attack

Good luck to the RN......

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
Sharing design and developement costs using the same company, Thales.

Like I said, good luck to the RN. I hope the UK is in the lead on this joint project....

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

Yes, otherwise the frog influance would be to have a very fast reverse and full of poultry, i mean chicken out of things when the going gets tough