If you were gonna buy a 1/48 Harrier, Which One Would it Be?

Suggestions for brand to go for, stay away from?

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

Which type of Harrier? Real Harriers or Plastic Pigs?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The Monogram one is actually very nice, if you're looking for a Day Attack variant. About all you need to add are the boarding step and the armpit seat safing handle in the cockpit and you can build a very nice model for a very small amount of money.

I think you have to go Hasagawa for Night Attack or any other variant out of the box, but the Monogram kit still makes a great starting point for a conversion if you want to do that.

Reply to
Rufus

I know it has gone thru lots and lots of variants... Last one I had was the big airfix thing.

What is a plastic pig? similar to haggis?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I think Enzo means the Americanized McDonnell Douglas AV-8B? The oversized wings were made of carbon composite hence "plastic pig". Enzo's favourite soap character just died so he's in a bad mood at the moment :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

...don't forget the forward fuselage - the majority of the inlets, forward fuse, stabs, and fin on an AV-8B are composite.

Reply to
Rufus
.

I thought bouncer the dog was killed years ago....

Reply to
Jules

"Plastic Pig" was the derogatory nickname given to the second generation Harrier GR5 (equivalent to the AV-8B) when it first entered service with the RAF.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Libby Kennedy?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

They keep getting new Bouncers. The latest one was called Bouncer Five.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I got a Revell-Monogram Night Attack version that included a resin conversion and a book. It is a nice kit.

Reply to
RobG

On Jan 18, 6:21=EF=BF=BDpm, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrot= e:

Check the reviews on MM and Hyperscale. The Hasegawa FrankenHarrier has beautiful detail but you'll have to dryfit the fuselage every step--it does NOT fall together, and I'm tired of panels 1/64th high or low. While the II has several aftermarket decals, the I is less so. There's an ancient Microscale sheet in 1/48 and that's almost that.

Reply to
tomcervo

There is a new Xtradecal sheet that will provide stencils and markings for a Falklands War GR3.

Note: XV997 never existed. The jet was actually XZ997.

If you manage to lay hands on the Airfix 1/48 kit, it has markings for 1(F) Sqn ("The Mighty If") and 3(F) Sqn ("Cementheads"). It may be possible to adapt IV(AC) Sqn ("Happy Four") markings from a 1/72 Hunter sheet. 233 OCU markings will need to be hand painted. If you wanted to make a GR1 from 20 Sqn, again 1/72 Hunter markings could possibly be adapted.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The British get upset at the notion of a single engined plane which can carry any sort of ordnance or fuel payload :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

...which only gives me one more argument as to why JSF won't make it...the USN ain't particularly fond of that idea either.

Reply to
Rufus

The U.S. Navy isn't happy with this ?

Sheesh ... that ONE engine has 40,000 lb of thrust in afterburner. Combat radius of 600 nm. ( Comparable to the Super Hornet ) Either sneak in with a smaller load in stealth mode. Or carry more externally in a less stealthy mode.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

Trying in vain to find a review of Tamiya's AV8A--any opinions?

Reply to
tomcervo

It's got nothing to do with power - it has to do with redundancy and safety at sea. A single engine out in a Hornet isn't even considered an emergency unless it happens during takeoff or landing.

A single engine out in a single engine airplane may require ejection...over water...with all the attendant services required to retrieve the crewman.

...and stealth is highly overrated...especially at sea.

Reply to
Rufus

Tom, IMHO, you'd be better off with the Monogram kit for the AV-8A. Detailing is better, and IIRC the fit is better as well.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Well it's one thing to say that the Navy isn't particularly happy about the single engine concept. ( I agree ). However, the Navy got on board with the JSF project back in the early 1990's. What exactly do you mean when you say the JSF " won't make it " with the Navy ? It's kinda late in the ball game to back out of the program right ?

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm no huge fan of the whole JSF concept. The DOD is trying to kill many birds with one stone with the project. But the money just isn't there to make each individual service completely happy. It was either get on board, or your out of the picture. However, the JSF is still maturing ... and it's going to be a heck of an airplane.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack