If you were gonna buy a 1/48 Harrier, Which One Would it Be?

As I have mentioned before, RAF ACM training at Deci during the 1980s was dedicated to proving to Harrier pilots that they shouldn't mix it with *anyone* !
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
I think that the F-20 was seen as a competitor for the F-16 in international sales, and that meant it had to go. The fascinating story is about another competitor for F-16 sales, the IAI Lavi:
Chinese can say what they want; this looks a lot like a Lavi:

The RN would never go for it, but remember the Dassault Rafale is in production as a carrier-based fighter already.
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery
Arguing against it being canceled is the history of the V-22 Osprey project. If that pig can get into service after 25 years of development, then the F-35 is a shoe-in. :-)
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery
cool, what colour can i choose from....mind you, live on a v short road...whats the minimum distance i need!
Reply to
Jules
If they are going to use stealth in dogfighting combat, they are going to have to to toss any vestige of the visual ID of the enemy concept, because if you can see and identify him, he can see and identify you, unless you are using some sort of magnified visual ID system, which neither the F-22 or F-35 seem to be equipped with. This also leaves one wondering about putting close range AAM's like Sidewinders on stealth aircraft, because to get within range to use them, you are also inside the visual range of your opponent.
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery
In 1977 the British toyed with an F-16 clone as well, the HS.1202-9 with twin fins.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Yup. That about sums it up.
Yup...that finishes the equation.
...I seriously doubt they'd allow a French fighter onto an English carrier deck, either!
Reply to
Rufus
...the MV-22 isn't a completely done deal yet, either - I'm not even sure they're not still in LRIP. And from what I hear it's still been struggling.
Personally, I'd rather see Speedhawk developed.
Reply to
Rufus
That's sort of the point...it's not useful at all in a dogfight, and has it's limitations in avoiding an airborne intercept altogether. Not to mention that in the context of an integrated defense system you don't necessarily even "need" a radar to find who you're looking for. It's sort of middle-aged to old tech now that the cat is out of the bag.
...oh yeah - radar's highly over-rated, too.
Reply to
Rufus
i bet they retire it 6 months after full acceptance.... "no longer meets mission requirements..." how much is it over budget? 20 billion, 30?
Reply to
someone

Site Timeline