Wildly OT

damn.

Reply to
someone

They park them overnight with full bellies? We've been on gas for years, but when we were on oil I seem to recall the guy from the local oil service telling me the drivers lost some time in the evenings because they had to empty their tanks of any oil when they got back to the oil farm - for the precise reason that because they were located on the rougher side of town they'd likely be missing some trucks the next morning if they left them wet. My dad was friends with the guy that ran the place - he told him some interesting stories at the diner about what cold people were willing to do to get oil.

On a side note, today, whenever there is a big upsurge in gas prices the first thing that usually happens is they find the gas lines on some of the parked scool buses cut and the tanks drained. Here they park them at the school in unchained parking lots overnight. For the time, money and aggravation of dealing with that, I'd invest in some

8 ft chain link fencing and at least try to scrape some of the bark off their ass as they dealt with that. A little current to the fence from one of the bus batteries would be another little gift of mine.

Remote boat lots for apartments and condos are another prime target. After all, unless it's a rowboat, nobody brings a boat out of the water with a dry tank.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

We seem to have a problem losing oil trucks lately. Two have been stolen off the dealers' locked grounds in the past week. The second one was found parked empty in Washington DC. Number one is still missing. Should you see an oil tanker with "Denver, Pa." on the doors, would you please alert your local authorities. So far it seems mostly just about stealing oil but nowadays you can't tell. :(

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I read in the paper people are stealing catalytic converters from parked automobiles now days. The thieves want the precious metals they contain so they can sell them at metal recycling centers. They just crawl underneath your auto and use a hacksaw. ( due to their high ground clearance and easily-removed bolt-on catalytic converters, Toyota pickups and SUV's are favorite targets )

You would think people could just get a job instead of resorting to that sort of thing. If you come out to your car and start it up and it all of a sudden makes allot more noise than it used to ... you will know why now.

They get about $ 100 bucks at the junk yard. In order to replace a catalytic converter it will cost you around $ 1000.

How do you like them apples ?

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

On Jan 18, 11:05=A0pm, Mad-Modeller wrote:>

CCBlack wrote:> > > On Jan 18, 12:09 am, Mad-Modeller wrote:> > > We seem to have a problem losing oil trucks lately. =A0Two have been> > > stolen off the dealers' locked grounds in the past week. =A0The second one> > > was found parked empty in Washington DC. =A0Number one is still missing.> > > Should you see an oil tanker with "Denver, Pa." on the doors, would you> > >

please alert your local authorities.> > > So far it seems mostly just about stealing oil but nowadays you can't> > > tell. :(> > > > Bill Banaszak> > > I read in the paper people are stealing catalytic converters from> > parked automobiles now days. =A0The thieves want the precious metals> > they contain so they can sell them at metal recycling centers. =A0They> > just crawl underneath your auto and use a hacksaw. ( due to their high> > ground clearance and easily-removed bolt-on catalytic converters,> > Toyota pickups and SUV's are favorite targets )> > > You would think people could just get a job instead of resorting to> > that sort of thing.> > If you come out to your car and start it up and it all of a sudden> > makes allot more noise than it used to ... you will know why now.> > > They get about $ 100 bucks at the junk yard. =A0In order to replace a> > catalytic converter it will cost you around $ 1000.> > > How do you like them apples ?> > > Chris>

theft> over in York County. =A0Any unoccupied building is being broken into and> relieved of its piping. =A0Heck, someone stole the copper downspouting> from St.Rose of Lima Catholic Church last year.> > Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.- Hide quoted text -> > - Show quoted text -Umm...is somebody finally starting up a new American injection molded kit company anywhere in the area?What with the price of oil it's about the only way we'll see an American manufacturer any time soon. :-(Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

On a side note, there has been a tremendous upsurge in copper pipe theft over in York County. Any unoccupied building is being broken into and relieved of its piping. Heck, someone stole the copper downspouting from St.Rose of Lima Catholic Church last year.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i forgot you not in oh. duh. there were car barns in my old hood until the late 70's. the city sold the property just before the real estate boom. i think nepotism made some folks wealthy. let me guess, no one wanted the bus line and the county got stuck?

Reply to
someone

To the best of my knowledge, Lima was headquartered in Ohio. I know there were many regional shops back in the 1800s. There was one here in Lancaster and I think it may be still standing. If the one I think it is, is it, it's now a transmission shop. AFAIK, all of the trolley barns are now gone. Wish now I'd gotten some pics before they were trashed. The trolley company still exists in the form of a tour bus company. The county runs the bus line and has for the past 30 years.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

yeah, more starbucks and store 24's!

never heard of them. good new search, yee haa. buses in this town are a myth. i see skeletons at the bus stops and homeless shacks.

Reply to
someone

property just before the real estate boom. i think nepotism made > some folks wealthy.

PP&L owned the ground where the one on N.Prince stood. They needed the space for electrical equipment so it disappeared quickly in the '70s. The main office out on E. Chestnut was sold to developers in the late '80s. We now have a couple of redundant shops there where there once was a magnificent brick structure.

Ja wohl! The bus company was losing money right and left and wanted out. They had buses (GMs) as old, if not older than me and they always sounded like they were breaking up going over the ratty streets we had here. If the county hadn't stepped in there would be no bus service here at all. The county immediately ordered new Flxibles and I discovered motion sickness for the first time in a bus. The seats were hard as hell too. ;] I don't think I've ridden a bus for 8 or 9 years now. They don't go where I need to.

BTW, the local locomotive company was Norris Locomotives. Apparently they built a few for the Reading RR before 1900.

Bill Bnaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller