Re: OT: Taps May Not be "Live" the Royalbulgaf contribution

From: Mark Schynert snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

>Hmm, that's a little harsh. Not everyone is lucky enough to be brought up in

such a way that they have meaningful traditions. Further, there

are all too many 'traditions' out there that are merely excuses for continuing

bigotry or close-minded-ness. I think this has next to >nothing to do with tradition, and everything to do with an appreciation >meant to individuals

Your points are somewhat valid Mark but let me point out that what we were refering to is the callous way Royalbugoff chose to insert his political ranting in a discussion about the way military funerals are held. Specificly the use of technology to simulate the playing of taps. The original posat this one spawned from was "taps may not be live at vets funerals anymore". True we should have taken this line of thought back to that thread. As to your point about traditions please remember that oldtimer and I were and are refering to military traditions. Bigotry and/or closedminded-ness has nothing to do with tradition. Those are personal beliefs. Traditions ARE history. Most traditions are about even'ts and the history of the event, the acts we perform in remembering them. If my view seems to be rather nieve to you, and yours more worldly, so be it. I'm sorry that you think you have to be brought up a certain way to have traditions or recognize the importance of them. Oldtimers point and mine are that traditions are what give us a sense of belonging, of contiuity with those before us and those to follow. No it wasn't a little harsh, it was a very soulful thought from one who has and cherishes traditions.

Reply to
ARMDCAV