Regulus II balsa flying model.

I've never seen one. The Jetex site has a link to Vought's diagram of the missile, but that's all I have found so far.

The Snark had an article in the April, 1958, Science & Mechanics.. I expected to see something like that.

Any ideas or sources?

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
mholt

How about a link?

Reply to
The Old Man

I thought I had seen a re-release of the Snark recently. Lindberg, maybe?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

"> I thought I had seen a re-release of the Snark recently. Lindberg, maybe?

Yes re-released a while back. One of the kits I avoided as a kid since all the white strip decals on large curved surfaces looked like a nightmare. I bought 2. When I get to it now it'll be masking tape and airbrush approach.

I remember seeing the science and mechanics article as a kid. It was beyond my skill at the time - and a we lived in a faily built up area - no good place to fly it even if I did. (Same problem today) I often wondered what the survival rate was on these. Balsa and tissue with two burning jato engines and an uncontrolled glide in. While it survived it must have looked really cool.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

willshak

It was my understanding that the red with white stripes were the prototypical craft; the operational types would have been a haze, or some other lighter shade of grey. How about one like that? Actually I did the History Makers version a few years back; the white stripes weren't too bad if you take your time. My hardest task on that was committing a good coat of red paint.

Reply to
The Old Man

yep. needs some detailing and rescaling but it can look like a snork.

Reply to
someone

There is some stuff on the web on Regulus and Snark. I knew a guy who did some testing on the Regulus in the Navy, it was only on one or two subs. Not a long operational life. the model is pricey. Would like to see it re-released, I liked the missiles that were done in the 60s. USNI has photos for sale, you can also check some of the places like NASA or Pt Mugu, where I think it was tested.

As far as the Snark, knew a guy who was doing RADAR work out on the Atlantic test range, he said pretty much waters near the Cape were Snark infested. Due to all the crashes in testing. We usually see the red color scheme, but I did run across on the web an overall grey that was operational. Was interesting since was about 64 or so and grey was not a usual paint job in the USAF at the time. Red looks more colorful anyway. With the yellow maintenance stuff.

I really need to get off my butt and start writing a book on this stuff.....

Reply to
frank

Revell had a plastic model of the Regulus test model complete with landing gear. I recall the colours used were white undersides with Sea Blue Gloss uppers. I had one but sold it off without ever building it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

And Strombecker did a balsa and plastic of the Reg I. It's about 1:72, I think (don't have notes handy), and I think it's the only example made.

Reply to
The Old Man