TT PRO36 ABN or ST G34 ringed?

To G34 or not to G34? : )

The G34 is the one I'd rather pay for, but the PRO36 is the one I'd more confidently choose. The price inducement is substantial at a $54 (USD$40) local price differential, advantage to the G34.

Overall, the G34 seems to get a general rap from its users as one of ST's best model engines.

So ST G34 or TT PRO 36? I'm 100% confident about the TT, but while tempted, still really hesitant to give the ST a go.

Why?

In a word... CARBURATION.

According to specs, *theoreticallly*, power and weight wise either will suit the project I have in mind, a 4¼lb TWM Sukhoi Su-26 ARF, but problem free throttling an absolute must...hence my hesitation to give the MAG fitted G34 a go despite its substantially lower pricepoint.

What I'm concerned with is that the G34 will suffer from that idiosyncratic MAG carb woe of a compromised high idle required to effect consistant, smooth, problem free transition throttling. So the question is does the MAG carb throat diameter and barrel *as fitted to this ST engine (G34) in the particular* allow transition soundly to full throttle without surging or hesitating from a circa 1800rpm +/-

200rpm set idle.....or not?

Other than that, I have no qualms about the G34.

I have already read the little which has actually been said about the G34 in the "versus" and other G34 related threads on RCU, but seek brand unbiased opinions from owner/users here of both engines. "ST can do no wrong", "need to learn how to tune" MAG carb apologists need not reply.

Footnote: From ownership of a couple of MAG'd STs, one (S61K ring) of which purrs at idle like a kitten and transitions flawlessly like a cheetah to peak rpm, whilst the other (S40K ABC) won't transition from an idle set at anything below 2800rpm MINIMUM without gurgling itself into silence, I'm aware of the pronounced throttling problems which that can occur between different models/sizes of ST engines in respect of irregularities in suitability of throat size, barrel slot cutout, spraybar slit and even needle taper with MAG carbs.

Sot of carb reliability and consistancy in idle and transition performance I'm looking for is akin to what you'd expect from Enya, O.S. Max and Thunder Tiger carbs. So what do you reckon?

Can the G34 and its factory supplied MAG carb's idle and transition cut it as an equal against these marques, or should I just play safe and spend the extra on the known problem free & powerful PRO36?

Reply to
CguLL

advantage to the G34.

PS: I miscalculated. Local price difference between PRO36 and G34 is actually $44 equating to USD$32, not $54/USD$40 as previously stated.

Still significant enough to induce me to try that G34 if people's experiences here with the G34 indicate it doesn't display any problem in effecting a low idle in concert with smooth throttle up transition with the MAG carb it comes supplied with fitted.

Reply to
CguLL

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:28:07 +1000, CguLL wrote in :

I can't say anything about the G34.

I've had a TT Pro 36 for five or six years, running it on combat Gremlins. It's been on death row for two or three years. I had to JB weld the carb on because of some crash damage caused by a Really Stupid Maneuver. There was a mid-air during a 7-plane scrum, and someone said, "Look at that!" I looked at the mess of pieces floating down through the air--and promptly lost sight of my own plane. Fortunately, it came down far from people and roads. My heavens, that was DUMB!

OK, back to the engine review: it's worked well for me and I imagine it would work well for you. I spend most of the time at full-throttle, but it seems to idle and transition OK.

I'm not a great engine tuner. It starts, it runs, it flies, it's survived a lot of hard knocks, and it didn't cost a whole lot back when I bought it.

Another brand I'd consider--although it may have gone extinct--is GMS. I've had good results with a .46 of theirs and would try one of their .36s if I had a plane that needed one. Looks like only the heli engines are left in that size:

Dang. You're getting me thinking dangerous thoughts ...

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:00:11 +1000, CguLL wrote in :

differential, advantage to the G34.

I got carried away thinking about engines when I replied to your first post.

I see that you're in Australia.

What the heck--go with the G34 and let us know how it works out!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Hi Marty

Thanks for your post relating your thoughts and experiences.

I'm really after testimonials affiming the G34.....*or not*.

Concur with your findings of Thunder Tiger's PRO36. Truly love TTs. My first choice in sport 2 stroke sport engines. I just don't like their pricepoint as much, hence the G34 inquiry/temptation.

GMS = no. I had considered it, but it was relegated to the also ran bin.

Why?

GMS rests at the same pricepoint as ST's G34, which even though now manufactured in PRC is known to be a solid engine and one I'd buy without hesitation were it not for my suspicions surrounding satisfactory performance from its MAG carb. OTOH GMS engines, including the .32, have too many "pig in a poke", "yer get a good one or a dud out of the box" plausible engine inconsistancy testimonials on record at RCU. With prerequiste modesty & honesty I can say whilst I am a competent tuner, what I'm not is a gambler.

RCU testimonials echo my own observations of GMS owners at my own clubs. Like so many engines of PRC origin, other than ST with their MAG, eg: ASP/Magnum/Tower/GMS, problems seem to rest with carb QC or other fit rather than carb or engine design per se. After all, most of 'em are rips of one O.S. carb design or another. From experience, I now completely comprehend PRC mentality and their interpretation of 'QC'. ie: EVERYTHING manufactured goes into a box and is sold. This wouldn;t be so bad if their accompanying interpretation of Customer Service is often first to pretend they don't understand the language, then followup with denial if the complainant is persistent. :)

FTR, engines in the 32/34/36 class are unusually absent from the line-ups at my local field/s. Re the presence, or rather absence of G34s. A smattering of G45s, more G51s and the odd S or G61, but have yet to see a single G34 in action locally, hence the inquiry here. In That class is dominantly represented by TT PRO36s with the occasional O.S. 32FX for the handful flying that capacity spectrum.

However I suspect that choice represent one more of local availablity and herd mentality than a purchase pattern based upon conscious brand allegiance or a knowledgable preference. What it does undeniably demonstrate in action is how reliably TT's PRO36 performs. Doesn't actually indicate anything about the performance G34 though. None available for view or impulse buying locally. Have to be aware of G34 and make a conscious decision to buy one online to get one here. No G34s in any of the LHS, and only two who carry any stock of ST engines at all.

Reply to
CguLL

I like both brands of engines and have owned the TT.36 Heli engine. I presently own two fairly recently purchased (six months - a year?) ST .34 ringed engines. The TT.36 Heli engine was made during a time when the series was going through piston/liner fit troubles. (four or five years ago?). TT was handling the warranty repairs well at the time, so no complaints there. Hearing about the problem, I gave the engine to a friend and bought an OS.32SX. So, I never experienced the failure myself. My friend never commented on whether he had a problem with it or not.

I've not found an ST carb that I could not get to work properly yet. Some required some tinkering. I'm retired, so tinkering is just added entertainment for me. I bought these ST.34 engines to power a C-160 Transall. That hasn't happened yet and I haven't ran them. But I would probably make the same choice again.

OR, I would go to

(NZ) and buy a couple of Sanye (ASP) engines of the proper size. Of course, going this route leaves you high and dry if there is a warranty problem. So far I have purchased an ASP 1.80 four-stroke and a .52 two-stroke from them. Haven't ran either of them yet, but they "feel" good when turning them over. I flew ASP engines many years ago and never had a problem with them.

I have bought three Thunder Tiger engines over the last year. Two .15 engines and an .07. So, I wouldn't eliminate them from the choices either.

If you are an experienced older modeller, have good luck with glow engines and don't mind puttering, the ST's can be made to run just fine. At least that is my experienced with the later model engines.

Oh, don't forget Magnum. Even though I think their prices are a bit too high, no one can match their warranty department and service.

Good luck making your decision.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Nah. I'm not a gambler. It's false economics to buy a paperweight.

Crap carburation resulting in a engine running problems are my PET hate.

My purchase decision would be an utter no brainer if it weren't for that pricepoint gap. But if the G34 runs solidly with its MAG carb (just like my S61K ring does) without presenting transition or idling problems, then I'd like to know about it. Then, and only then, I'd more than likely take the punt and give one a go.

Without such a quasi-unanimous attestation "NO WAY"!

Reply to
CguLL

Wish I could say one way or the other on the G34. I happen to have 3 of em NIB from Ebay but have yet to run any of em. The purchases were due to good prices and good experiences with a G51 ringed that is a real screamer. As far as GMS being "pig in a poke" engines I have had nothing but good running from both my .32 and .76 ringed. The .32 had to be rebuilt after a collision with a boulder (case, head, muffler replaced) and even with my non-experience with rebuilding glow engines, it remains an excellent running engine. Probably not much help to you but dont count out the GMS .32. I would buy another without any qualms.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Thanks Ed & Fubar otHP.

Ehehe....is there anyone here who actually runs their G34s? ; P

But seriously, thanks fellas.

Ed you probably already know Sanye makes Magnum/ASP/CS/Evolution & probably Tower and GMS et al?

Re that peakmodels link. Interesting site. Almost identical in every detail including pricing and shipping to another I've seen, but bearing a different name and interface. The GMS .32 sure is attractively priced there, but a glance at their nonsense estimated shipping soon took any motivation out of that impulse.

If I'm gonna' buy an engine manufactured in PRC because of price, it'll be the ST as long as I know the G34's MAG carb isn't oversized and will transition OK. FTR I just discovered an "it's a bit of a dud" report on RCU about the Chinese manufactured G34 carb, specifically mid-range to top end plus another post about it which was less than complimentary, although there are a couple who post saying they like theirs but without saying much else.

As fror MAG carbs, tweak away all you want Ed. I *guarantee* you that if I sent you my S40K ABC, even you won't be able to get its massive

9.2mm ID throated MAG carb to throttle smoothly if you set its idle at less than 2800RPM ..unless you really are the son of God and capable of minor miracles? FTR, I had a specific discussion about this minimum idle required for smooth transition on that engine issue with Bax some time ago, and he reckoned that's "normal" idle RPM needed to be set expected of *any* 40 if wanting a smooth transition. Yer right Bax. Anything you say! :) Glad someone never told O.S., Enya, TT and Irvine that.

Fubar. Happy for you that the 'pig' you pulled out of GMS's poke was a healthy one. After all. They have to make *some* good ones. There are too many sufficient others who'll relate how much they haven't enjoyed their GMS experience, that I don't count on risking becoming one of them. :( Dang it! And that gold head looks so purrty!!

Reply to
CguLL

-------------

So your point in posting your appeal for aid in making a decision was really to provide you with an opportunity to make fun of those who wasted their timing answering your plea?

Fool me once...

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Oooooh..that's a bit harsh. How do you figure that Ed? :) (Don't now how to represent puzzlement with an emoticon)

If I was poking fun with the "Ehehe....is there anyone here who actually runs their G34s? ; P" comment, clearly it was meant in cheeky fun at humour in truth, not "making fun of". Note the winking poking tongue face emoticon and clarifying statement in the immediately following paragraph?

C'mon. Surely you can see the funny side of that? Or are you p1ssed because of my reporting of Bax's excuse..er...explanation re the lacklustre transition throttling of the MAG carb on the S40K ABC I own which ST still persist in fitting? Paraphrased admittedly, but essentially represented the context of what Bax said verbatim.

I made jest of the paradox of how anyone can presume to either accurately inform or proffer valid opinion of how well a particular engine type runs, if owning an example, or two they have never run it/them? Conjecture I can do that myself - without inquiring or buying. I do appreciate the suggestions you and others have offered, and said as much. But suggesting an ASP or GMS still doesn't offer any insight into how well the G34's carb actually works in practice, amongst other things.

Or perhaps you'r 'in a tiz' over my GMS comments???.. ;)

Can't see for the life of me how illustrating the fact that I don't care to take a punt with GMS given their publicly documented track record is suggesting anyone "a fool" because they do, whether knowingly or otherwise. Hey. I wasn't even inquiring about GMS, although I was courteous enough to thank the person for suggesting same, explain why they were a no-go zone for me, and express delight that he'd lucked a good example of marque. And I really do like the gold head. ;P I liked the look of the blue head on Magnum's .52 too, but that still didn't prevent that engine being awarded a well deserved label as a dog by every second owner due to Sanye fitting it with a ill engineered piece of $h1tmetal guised as a carb. Also well documented.

But don't take it from me. Do a cursory search on RCU and tally the number of complaints re MAG carb tuning and other irregularities vs ALL the rest, hence my if it works on the G34 inquiry. Similarly, check out the "GMS are junk" posts. Suffiently numerous to provide purchase disincentive once aware, compos mentis being presumed.

Nah, I'd like to hear actual emprical anecdotes be they positive or negative from those who not only own a G34, or two, but had it/them in actual operational service for a sufficient period of use to gain a preferably distanced from new buyer excitement and balanced opinion of the G34's overall performance. If they also own and have run PRO36's, even better. That'd offer some a meaningful relative comparison.

So far I've found a single post along those lines, and he didn't say much other than, paraphrased, "he liked them both".

Reply to
CguLL

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:17:41 +1000, CguLL wrote in :

I'd go for :-/ or :-\ myself. ;o)

I'm not sure what you can reasonably conclude from the silence of ST .34 owners. One may yet appear here, but (so far) it seems like a dry well for you.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The ST.34 must be popular with disabled old men like me. We buy engines, but don't get to run them nearly as often as we would like.

I said I bought these for a C-160 Transall. I was mistaken, I bought them for a Hobbico Twinstar. Yeah, that's the ticket...

The C-160 Transall, if I build it at all, will be powered by a couple of OS FS-30 four-strokes. What's the point in having a military twin if it sounds like a couple of Mopeds buzzing around?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Yes, sorry to hear that Ed. I'd picked that up from comments made by you in a couple of your RCU posts. Bad shoulder and leg (s?) no fun. Understandably though, generally not appreciated by those unafflicted. I know whilst I had empathy, I didn't fully appreciate impact of affirmity until aging (presbiopia) and injury issues personally affected me. No spring chicken any more myself, but my primary club has over half of its membership a decade or more older than me.

I have unrun engines sitting in boxes too. One of the reasons I try now not to buy what I won't use, and a motivation behind this inquiry.

We have quite a few twin flyers in my primary. Surprisingly, I've not yet bought and owned a model twin, although have 10k+'s of hours on the real McCoys, piston,(+ turbo), turbine & jet..if you would call the larger turbine and latter "twins". Hobbico's Twinstar is an easy flier by all accounts including their own spiel, verified by my MK I eyeball. It'd be a speed demon with pair of G34s up front.

Hmmm..Well two of my RC buddies have owned and flown the Transall, if its the CMPro one you're referring to?

One's an ex RAF Spitfire Pilot (Mk IV & IXX's). Rather old now, but a damned good and aggressive flier despite his advancing years. The other certainly likes his warbirds. Both Transalls flew without noticible handling flaws other than their characteristic narrow track undercarriage which can be a handful on grass, especially when those long wings don't assist stability on either takeoff or landing in any crosswind breeze .

As for Transall engine preference. The warbird afficionado had a pair of inverted Magnum or ASP FS-40's in his. His weren't very co-operative. A pair of either O.S. LA or FP 25's powered the other as I recall. Can't remember his mounting arrangement now, but suspect them either upright or sidemounted. Both were plenty of power for scale like flight of that model. Now I know beauty is in the eye of the individual beholder, but a pair of drubbing single cylinder four strokes sound no more like a pair of spooled up Rolls Royce Tynes to me than muffled two strokes. Maybe there is some advantage to hearing loss with aging? ; P

Me, if I had that model, I'd put in a pair of something which were

100% reliable throughout the throttling range. Maybe even a pair of G34's..??? :)

Wel it's finally dawned one of those perfect modelling days over here this morning. Been *very* windy (& gusty) of late. I have a student who's been patiently waiting for a day like this for his first lesson of circuits, so will sign off here.

Didn't intend personal offence previously Ed, and apologise if what I wrote did.

Reply to
CguLL

G'day Marty

I'll keep digging....even if I must shift the drillsite. : (

More or less the same question has been posed in RCU by others previously. Unusually, there isn't much comment on the G34 there either, given the volume audience which has since largely deserted Usenet for the BLING of moderated commercial GUI forums of choice.

To be honest, I am astonished at the absolute absence of them at my primary field....or apparently here.

I suspect its because the capacity class itself simply isn't popular, and when they buy a .32-.36, people either buy cheap and less known, ie: GMS, or proven reliable and easy to obtain and reasonably priced, ie: TT with the balance just going with what they perceive as the no-brainer safe buy and market leader: ie: O.S. And possibly like most over here, when they do their economic triage, come crunch time the perception of more for the same money drives a majority just to buy the ubiquitious .46 instead, or .45/.51 in ST's case, unless they specifically want a .32-.36 for a project.

Here's a question for you or Ed though. Can you measure and tell me what the ID of the G34 MAG carb's throat is? Tower doesn't record it in their tech specs for that engine, and their spare parts listing depicts the carb as being a one size fits all for the G34/40-49/S21 which doesn't afford me any great confidence in its specific suitability to the smaller G34's needs, especially when they're reporting the throat diameter as 12mm! No doubt that'll be the neck's OD rather than the ID. How it stands relative to the conventional norm for capacity will offer some idea of whether it may present a potential problem.

See

ID will be the G34's throttling performance determinant. IMO it needs to be apropriately sized for capacity to effect good fuel draw throughout low and mid range without a pump. Unfortunately ST have a track record of fitting oversize holed MAGs in their 40's, which certainly makes them go like stink at the top end, but with less desirable consequences for idle, and especially as so often reported, a stumbling mid range.

Reply to
CguLL

Hey guys --

Some years ago, I had one of the original ST .34s -- had it in a Fun One and it flew that pretty big model quite well. Engine always ran and idled well.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

---------

Thanks for the chat. Didn't mean to be such a grouch. But it happens from time to time.

I'd be able to 3D the Transall with two .34's on the wings.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger