SuperTiger G51 Ringed Engine- Opinions?

I just picked up a N.I.B. SuperTiger G51 Ringed engine and a Direct Connection Tsunami kit from a local hobby shop that is closing ( yeah, another one- sigh).

I have never used a SuperTiger before.

Anyone have experience with one? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks,

Mark D. Fain

Reply to
Mark D. Fain

Hi Mark,

They might be my favorite Super Tigre engines. I have three of them among my thirteen Super Tigre engines. I run them in on a break-in stand as per the instructions. I have one in a Kyosho P-51D (inverted mount), one in a World Models Super Sports 40 and one in a Great Planes P-51D. No troubles at all and plenty of zip.

No special tips or tricks I can think of... follow the instructions carefully for tuning. I've used these APC props on mine: 10.5x6, 10x7,

11x5, and 11x6.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Good flying, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

Follow the recommended break in procedure. They take a bit longer to break in since it is a ringed engine. Once broken in, you have a real winner on your hands! I have three of em so far plus a .61 which is still N.I.B. My first one powers my kit build Tower Kaos and its a real screamer. My second one which I bought used is in a Kadet Senior ARF that is hauling aloft some video gear and a telemetry system. Still overpowered. The third G .51 is N.I.B. and doesnt have a home as yet. Great engines! Wait, I take that back. They are total junk and, since I am such a nice guy, I will take it off your hands just to save you some grief...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

The Tsunami is a beautiful plane. The Super Tigre is a great engine. I agree with the long break-in recommended by other posters. Here's a tip on how to set the low speed needle:

Attach a short piece of fuel tubing to the caburetor. Close the barrel to idle position. Hold the engine up to your ear (NOT running, of course!) and blow into the tube. Open the idle screw until you can JUST hear air blowing through the carb. That should be within 1/4 turn either way of being the proper setting.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Unless they've changed the instructions since I bought mine (and it's my favourite engine) the running in procedure is non-existent. Because it's ringed it needs special care but it's well worthwhile. Use a fuel with plenty of castor and at least 20% total oil. Make the first tank really blubbering rich, so rich it almost won't keep running. Then gradually lean it out for the next 30 minutes or so until it barely breaks into a

2 stroke for a moment. Another 10 minutes just into a 2 stroke should have it good enough to fly but wait until it's got a couple of hours flight time before wringing it out. Try to never go full peak lean, always keep it rich and it'll probably last just about forever.

Brian Hampt> I just picked up a N.I.B. SuperTiger G51 Ringed engine and a Direct

Reply to
Brian Hampton