Save Our Plastic Model Kit Hobby

I can accept (barely) that prices must rise with inflation and all that. I'm not as sure about labor and shipping costs, etc. The internet gives merchants choices about many of the overhead costs now. And, shipping costs have been going down for years (except when gas prices go up).

There is no duty on model imports, and intl. shipping rates have been falling for more years, so I have no understanding of the crazy high prices of many non-US kits (if Hasegawa can afford to run some kits for $7, why should others, of similar subjects, be $18?).

I can see a higher opening price until enough units sell to pay for production. But when you are seeing 1/72 injection P-26 kits for $20, something is out of kilter somehow.

I am also baffled by companies retiring molds. I mean, I can see taking a year or two off, maybe even three for stocks to decline etc. But, once the mold is made, why would it retire for many years? Don't the companies pay any attention at all to Ebay? When you see 1/72 Revell Aztecs sell for $10+ (before shipping), you know there is a demand. The molds exist, why not cash in, costs should be less now than the first run.

Grumble, I finally find myself in a position to spend some money to relive a misspent youth and find all the stuff I want is "OOP" and thus more expensive than new.

Reply to
SamVanga

Craig,

Sorry Craig, I didn't know you were not the originator of the petition.

I guess I'm getting cranky as I get older, but I've seen so many

" Support X at PetitionOnline"

postings over the years, mostly for inane causes, that I'm rather jaded towards the whole thing.

Oh God, another Star Wars petition?

This is why I'm jaded.............

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken