Seafire arrestor hook and rear fuselage

Currently accompanying a Hasegawa F-4C across my workbench is a Tamya 1/48 Spitfire which is being converted to a Seafire LIIc using the MDC conversion kit.

The kit provides a replacement lower rear fuselage to house the A-frame arrestor hook. The housing is open at the top, giving a view of the inside of the rear fuselage. Does anyone know if this is accurate? If so, as I intend to model the hook partially deployed, I may have to build some sort of vague representation of the inner fuselage structure.

Incidentally, it seems that MDC is improving some of their sets. The MDC website shows that the fuselage strengthening plates are provided as pre-cut self-adhesive plastic tape parts that are peeled off a backing sheet and stuck on. When I actually received the conversion set, the strengthening plates are now provided on a PE fret, which has far better detail than the self-adhesive sheet. Incidentally, the self-adhesive sheet is still included.

Well done, MDC!

Enzo Matrix

Wouldn't an arrestor hook pull the back end off a Seafire?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Apparently not.

Seafires were none too robust but the problem seems to have been more the undercarriage than the arrestor hook or the rear fuselage.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Great info on the Seafire.

What about the Seafire Mark XVII?

This looks like it has more in common with Mustang than Spitfire.

The Seafire III would look great in a diorama, with folded wings. Thinking of a 1/24 Airfix :-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Except for having no range or payload capability.

(kim)

Reply to
kim