sewn on with needle and thread

a few weeks ago i asked if anyone knew about sewing rigging on biplanes. i couldn't find an article i'd read. so using lindbergs hole guide for the gladiator, i decided to try it. i drilled out the hole, used a small needla and monofilament and sewed it together. then i used tiny grops of ca on both sides of the holes, let it dry and carefully cut the unneeded lines. after a lite buff on some spots, the holes disappear, the rigging is tight and looks great.

no, a very small one from one of those 75 needle flip card thingies.

Congratulations. You must have a surgical needle as I've never seen one small enough to go through most holes in kits.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

He did say he drilled out the hole, so he just had to pick a drill bit that was larger than his needle. The smallest sewing needle I have is about the size of a #65 (0.035) drill bit, but I think I've seen sewing needles a bit smaller than that.

For smaller holes, you could use a needle threader, but it wouldn't be as fast as using a needle. I just tried it, and easily pulled a thread through a hole made with #77 (0.018) drill bit. It worked with a #80 too, but just barely, it was a very tight squeeze.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris