Testers liquid cement (A little TLC goes a long, long way)

Why was I never told how bloody awesome it is? When I started back in modelling several years ago, the guy behind the counter did nothing but push the Revell Contacta squeeze bottles, and never mentioned the TLC.

I swear it is like super glue, I have put enough stress on the joint to have normally pulled the parts away from each other, but using the TLC I cannot.

I agree! I use it almost exclusively but sometimes I'll use Tenax. I like it alot.

Reply to
T. Forward

Me too. It's the my primary glue...other than CA and watch crystal cement for the "special" stuff.

Using it in conjunction with Berna Assembler clamps make my joins hold for good. And near seamless after some light sanding in most cases.

Reply to
Rufus

I use four types of cement:

Tenax 7R for "instant" bonds or with painted parts to avoid stripping the paint;

Testors Liquid for long term heavy strength required parts such as hull and turret joints;

Vollmer Superzement S30 for "high tack" quick bonds (best thing since the original Testors in the yellowish tube went away)';

and, for all items that will not take these, either Ambroid liquid or Plastruct Plastiweld.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Tenax has been hard to get in UK for years, its like now Squadron greey putty??? is banned in the UK, suposed to be inported a few months ago but again it never got in past customs

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Plus...it is the perfect thing for thinning Squadron/Bondo type filler putties. Thin the putty way down, brush it on, and it dries VERY quickly, with little to no shrinkage. Keep an extra bottle of TLC around for use just with your putty.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

that the same as testor's plastic cement? i use it for everything.

My local store seems to have no problems getting Green Putty ... it was also on the shelf (Along with white putty) at Hannants Colindale last week. It's also available from

Killfile

Which one are you using? I've got the bottle with the brush as well as the squeeze bottle with the hypodermic applicator (which appears to be a little thicker in viscosity.) tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

will try them, my local shop sad they expected some in a few months go but again wasnt allowed in, never found out why

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

FWIW, Testors liquid cement is nothing more than MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), nothing more spectacular than that. I bought a gallon at the home improvement store for $10 as opposed to $2.25 for a 1oz bottle. While I realize even a 1oz bottle will last awhile, a 1 gallon can lasts nearly forever, and I can share the wealth with the people in the club.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

It is the glass bottle with the brush.

Reply to
Wayne

It may also contain Methyl isobutyl ketone and methyl cellulose acetate. The hypo bottle states "contains Xylene." And I believe toluol is in there too. There was a nice article in Fine Scale Modeler twenty years ago about making your own glue. I can hear the call from Testors to Paul Boyer:

DUDE! If you want us to continue advertising in your magazine DON'T GIVE AWAY OUR MANUFACTURING SECRETS! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

If you like Testors liquid cement then you will absolutely love Tamiya Extra thin liquid cement (item #87038, The green cap, square glass bottle not the orange capped, hex shaped bottle)! And the brush has a very sharp point to it for fine glue application.

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

I can think of a similar situation in Model Railroader a long time ago. It seems the then-editor discovered that stove polish (see how long ago?) made a great substitute for US steam engine colourings. The original Floquil company took such umbrage that they suspended their advertising in the magazine for some time. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak