Toolbox

Digital Cowboy asked:

snippage....

What? No bandaids, tourniqet, first aid book? And you call yourself a modeler?

Flexifile in various grits. Masking tape Superglue, various types scissors, large and small, best you can afford metal snips dividers compass/conpassi steel rule, 6 inch and 12 inch architect's scale engineer's scale tweezers, multiple sizes and shapes wire cutters single edge razor blades small pane of glass (cutting decals and styrene) spatula, small for putty hammer, large for bad days erasing shield (scribing guide) labelmaker tape (scribing guide) awl, leather workers (not Tejas lubricant) Old phone wire, fuse wire used radio coil (for fine wire supply) old nylon hose ( to put on the end of the vac to locate missing parts before the carpet monster eats them) white glue A big bunch of craft knife blades. Buy them by the 100 pack. bottle of future bottle of vinegar bottle of acetone] super glue accelerator nail polish remover note pad, pen, pencil

3M magic tape save the foil wine bottle covers and candy wrappers silly putty fishing wieghts, various sizes and shapes protractor triangles

And too big for the toolbox:

another tool box or two a good desk/work top file cabinets for the overflow bookcases

Oxmoron1 MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

I did a little article on a model builder's tool box here:

You may have to copy/paste to get the entire url, and the article is not an all-emcompassing list. But it may help you think of something you may have forgotten.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

HA! He's no wimp, he's a macho modeler like most of us! Get cut? Apply superglue and just walk it off! (Unless of course you cut off your foot.)

BTW, no real modeler's toolbox can exist without an unused 15+ year old tube of Testor's glue and an original, dried up (or not) Pactra paint bottle with no more than 8 cents price on the top.

LOL

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

In addition to what you already have:

roach clip holders (to those of us from the 60's) needle nose pliers small dikes dental picks dremel (elec & battery types) w/ accessories sprue cutter(s) dental and small flexible mirrors tooth brush alligator clips nail clippers childs (baby) finger nail scissors (invaluable for close in work) small modeling hammer (like a ballpeen in general but about 1oz)) suction cup vise glass work surface (20x20 thereabouts) not in the toolbox of course

1oz plastic cups (got mine from McDonalds - ketchup holders) cheap caluclator sharpening stone for touching up exacto knife blades rawhide mallet mini screwdriver set small wire rushes, brass, aluminum, steel crochet hooks pen light small candle matches & lighter glue tips cheap soldering iron (like for wood burning) inside/outside calipers can of brake cleaner (good stuff!) bamboo chopsticks (great for reaching in to move something) miniature anvil diamond point bit set (use with dremel) tweezers OptiVisor(4x/7x/10x) ok, not in toolbox, on work bench safety glasses

Would you believe I do not own an air brush???

Grandpa

Digital_Cowboy wrote:

Reply to
Grandpa

- -- Live Long and Prosper . + . + . . .. .. . ______________________. . . . __ . \_______NCC_1701______|) .______.---'--'---.________ || || /-------.__________.-------/ /============/___/ '--' . \==\_____________|(- + . . + . . . . . + + .. . + . . + . . . . . . . + . .

Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Digital Cowboy asked what should be in his toolbox....

You need a change in outlook, expand your thought processes....EVERYTHING should be in your work area...The WORLD is your work area...You can never have enough tools...You can never have enough kits...You can never have enough supplies... and STILL you will not have what you need at O'dark thirty the night before you HAVE to complete something by 10:00 AM the next day. That is Axiom 42 to Murphy's Law.

Oxmoron1 MFE, Forgetfull Grade

Reply to
OXMORON1

You're making up for the rest of us who own several. I've got one; a Badger

150. I don't see much point to owning any more, although I'd like to try an Iwata Micron. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Things you don't have that I can't do without:

Tweezers Flex-I-File Spare blades for the X-acto Paint stirrer - Tamiya do a nice one with a spoon end for measuring paint mixes. I mainly use a reshaped paper clip in my modelling drill (not a Dremel) :-) Eye-dropper, for thinners. Needle or pin for applying drops of glue. Berna clamps or equivalent metal ruler

Obvious omissions you probably have on the bench:

Glues (several pages needed to describe all the types and their uses) Filler (another separate subject of its own) Masking materials of choice; tape, film, liquid mask, etc. Cutting mat Blu-tack

Plastic and metal rod, tube and strip stock and plastic sheet, in various thicknesses

Other things that are nice to have but not essential, depending on the type of modelling you are going in for and the level of precision you want in the finished product:

scalpel handles and a selection of spare blades Lycra thread (Aeroclub sell it, so do haberdashery counters) For use with power drill, or a pin chuck: - drill sets (mine go down to #80, 0.0135") With Dremel only: - circular saws, cutting disks, sanding drums, rasps, cutters, stones, wire and nylon brushes, polishing mops Panel line rescriber Taper reamers Riffler files Wire/sprue cutters (flush-cutting)

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I'm helping Grandpa balance you out, too. I had one but somebody borrowed it and it never came back. I really hadn't used it all that much anyway.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Modeling...where too much is *NEVER* enough!

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

ROFLOL! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

The bent clip does make an excellent stirrer but I found you have to get the power stepped down to avoid a mess. I wound up using bb's and (keeping it sealed) strap the paint to a vibratory sander. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

an electric jig saw and the paint electrical taped to a long blade revives dead humbrol. i use a mm bottle to hold the trigger open at the best speed. a 1/2 hour shake brought some rock hard 70's colors back.