TSUNAMI DISASTER EDUCATION APPEAL

TSUNAMI DISASTER EDUCATION APPEAL.

I am organizing sending as many recycled PC's to the affected areas to replace the ones destroyed in the schools etc. This will help the long term goal of getting the villages and towns back to some sort of normality.

At the time of writing i am hoping to ship in around 4 months, so around early April 2005.

As well as PC's, software and I.T related equipment is needed, as well as funds to cover fuel & shipping costs to get the items to one location ready to have the software pre installed prior to surface shipping, i have local computer clubs ready to help do that, but i need help moving items that have been donated so far and for the many more i hope to get over the next 2 months.

I am getting local media coverage which is a start, and i hope this will help further but here's what i need at the moment.

Working PC's. Anything above 350-400 mhz would do, Monitors and spare parts, cables etc. Networking equipment and other I.T related hardware. Any around Sheffield / Yorkshire would make it easier to start off with which is where i am and the offers of help with hands on computer setup is at the moment.

Cash. So far i have had offers of help from a local van hire firm, but i need to cover fuel costs. Some people have offered good items, but i need to cover postage.

If a large amount of computers can be sourced further away then hopefully i can get cheap or discounted shipping, again which is why cash donations would be needed,

A 40 foot container looks like costing around £1800. That can hold a lot of items, but other small costs are involved in setting up the items and getting them shipped. I have had firm offers of people willing to take time off work to help set up the computers on arrival, but i need to cover airfare, food and accommodation for a couple of people to oversee the arrival and setting up on arrival with the help of locals.

Any amount of financial help is appreciated . This is a natural disaster that has affected the whole world, and this is about the only way i can give some positive help back for a change. These local towns and schools need to get back to a normal life as soon as possible.

At the moment i am getting locations and the local language spoken information for where the items are to be sent, but i need to get the ball rolling NOW. I know this time of year many people do not have a lot of spare cash, or have given already, i know thats the same for me, so anything at all you can donate is taken with many thanks.

I can be contacted on.

(Sheffield) 0114 - 261 8314 Mobile -.07887973224 email - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Donations can be sent to

Julian Hales

11 Lilac Road Wincobank Sheffield S5 6FU

Please inc a email or Tel No. so i can confirm receipt of payment.

What ever you can afford to give, no matter how small, or any other help is received with many thanks.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Excellent idea, you are the man Jules !!!

If you are in the UK and can help Jules out please do so, if you can't but still want to help, you can also donate on-line at the UK government Disaster Emergency Committee website at

.

I was in the model shop on Friday and had my eyes on another Revell 1/48 Sea King, at the remarkably good price of £12.99, but I decided why spend £20.00 on another kit & paints etc for the stash when that £20.00 will save lives in the Tsunami affected area, so today I have put that money to a better use and made my donation.

These people need our help, please give what you can.

Wishing you all a Happy & Healthy New Year Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips

I gave what little cash i did at the weekend.

This is about all i can do long term to help, so far a few companies have offerd PC's and others bits and bobs, some cash too coming in. Im pretty stuck at paying for fuel etc for the items deliverd around the UK to here, Sheffield, where a local computer club will set them all up prior to goingin a few months.

The £1800 surface shipping is the figure i got from someone who did the same to India some time ago.

I know most people are short of cash this time of year but every little helps, a lot of people know me from here, and know im a genuine guy.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Jules - not meaning to rain on your parade (it's a bloody fine thing you're doing), but just make sure that each system has its own ORIGINAL copy of whatever OS you're going to use - especially if it's a Microshaft OS. We had a old guy here in Aussie made the news a couple of years ago doing something similar for the under-privileged in the community. All was going well until the 'cease and desist or we'll sue you for everything you and your grandkids will ever have' letter arrived. Seems Mr Gates and his legal staff didn't appreciate an old bloke doing something for the community. It's really a joke, because the people who were going to get the systems would NEVER have been able to afford a new system anyway - and he was recycling Win 3.1 and

95 systems... just keeping them out of landfill. Anyway, Big Bill didn't back down, all the stuff got junked and no-one was helped at all, IIRC. Just letting you know what you may be up against. Of course, if you can install a real OS, like Linux... (c: Good Luck and Best Wishes mate.

in

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Thanks Rob, had a few people offer M$$$$$$$$$$$soft licenses but a local Linux club will install al the lot for free, it seems Linux is used out there, along with 99.999% of pirated M$ stuff

going well so far, lots of co. have offerd PC's, im a off to the press tomorrow after the bank holiday and everyone is back to work

it seems the smaller firms are offering but the larger ones refuse too.

wrote

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Nice going mate. Bit of a silly question but wont they have different power supplies and plugs out there? How will you get round that?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

A lot of Asian countrie take UK computers, have for a long time, psu's are switchable.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

If send a cheque for £5 is that OK

Still trying to get my CD to work!

Reply to
Martin

That would be great thanks, making a note and all donations are to be listed on webite (inc your details)

Im at the moment drinking my 5th straight cup of tea trying to work out how to move the HUGE pallet of gear deliverd to my address this morning, the kids round here can have your car in 5 seconds (took mine in that) but even they couldnt whip this.........luckily its well wrapped n secure