U-Boat VII C hull paint

i saw a pic of the type xx they pulled out of the north sea. except for an even cover of surface rust, it looked remakable clean.

Reply to
someone

Yeah...I've seen such myself, and always wonder about the diff between rust and "encrustation". Stuff grows down there.

The absolute worst example of corrosion I've ever seen was on the inside of a P-51 wing down at Chino once. The thing had somehow corroded about into powder...steel stands up much better than aluminum. I think they were planning to "salvage" it by essentially building a whole new wing panel from scratch.

Reply to
Rufus

what's that saying about how you can restore anything with enough money?

Reply to
someone

That's up there with what someone told me about flying once - "if you ever want to stop flying, buy an airplane".

Reply to
Rufus

No, the ROG one is of the later version, the Airfix one is the early version. The later version is a lot more aesthetically appealing, due to the added armor plate. E-boats were faster than PT boats BTW.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I know them..i was talking to my mate at the local model shop and saw a brand new 99cm (no idea that that is in normal numbers) from Italeri, its late so now out next year....

looks a big son of a bich....which is right up my street

Reply to
Jules

I got the impression that they might be the same size or a bit larger than the 1/72 U-boats...the two would sure make a nice pair, sitting on a mantle.

Reply to
Rufus

yup...a fair beast

where i woud put it i dont know..maybe stick a motor in it, and run it in the local park pond....and attak the ducks!!

Reply to
Jules

Rufus wrote in news:b5Haj.260384$Fc.40152@attbi_s21:

That's about the same as we say here in the Netherlands: Koop een boot, werk je dood! (pron: [koap uhn boat, wehrk yuh doad])

Which translates in to: Buy a boat and work yourself to death.

Reply to
Bert-Jan

"Jules" wrote in news:riHaj.32790$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

99cm is just a bit smaller than 40inch

Bert-Jan

"Jules" wrote in news:riHaj.32790$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

And while we're at it, why would you call a measurement in 3' 11 3/16" "normal" when for instance 1.21m (121cm) is also available?

Reply to
Bert-Jan

It's been done before:

to be highly maneuverable.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

i like to nonparachutists... "what kind of idiot would jump out of a perfectly flying, undamages aircraft?"

Reply to
someone

looks like a good sailer. love to see it with a bone in it's teeth.

Reply to
someone

WUFOs...

Reply to
Rufus

ok, run into the memory bank, please.

Reply to
someone

...as in "what fo' would you be jumpin' out of a "perfectly good" airplane?" Us jumpers just call non-jumpers WUFOs.

Reply to
Rufus

never had one. but i haven't thrown away a perfectly good ac in 30 years. so i guess i'm a nofo.

Reply to
someone

i have no idea in my head what 121 cm is, now 3'11 yes....

Reply to
Jules

"Jules" wrote in news:PU1bj.36860 $ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I have the same with your 3'11 !!!