U Boat Dio Ideas

Okay, here are my ideas so far:

  1. U boat refitting at sea from "trawler" type supply ship (requring some open hatch conversions)
  2. U boat filming survivors in life boats (easiest and one most likely I'll actually get to)
  3. U boat in dry dock in France (a la large Andrea diorama)
  4. U boat being taken over by boarding crew (requiring lots of figure conversions)

And of course, the one which someone with more space and patience than me will build...

  1. Flower Class Corvette versus U Boat

--

Reply to
Mark Levine

How about a U-Boat coming in from a voyage and being greeted by people on the dock? I see your last name is Levine. Are you jewish? If so, how come you want to build a U-boat?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Artist

"Enemy Below"-type scenario comes to mind.....

The Old Timer

  1. Surfaced U-boat (in process of making a run for it and crash diving) under aerial attack (Academy PBY or Hasegawa TBF?)...aircraft mounted on a wire which extends from the base.
Reply to
Pauli G

I like the dry dock ide, or some partial sort of display set up that way. That's what I may do, or a fresh boat on or going down the launching ways - there's one you can add to the list.

Reply to
Rufus

[snip *OUCH* My finger!]

I saw a picture once of a pre-war german u-boat that had washed ashore somewhere in England during a storm (or something like that.) Lots of men, women and children in their finest sunday clothes walking around it, looking up at that giant beast from the deep.

Pretty awe-inspiring ...

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Hi,Ho

I did a dio in 1/700 with a ship going down and a surfaced u-boat passing by with a lifeboat full of ship crewmembers

1st attempt g
Reply to
GCLOWER

Found it:

John Magne Stubsveen

Same picture, but without the yucky greenish tint:

(Found on:
)

Another picture of U-118, taken from a different angle:

(Found on:
)

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Pauli G wrote

There was also one U-boat that surrendered to an RAF Coastal Command plane, that had to circle the surfaced boat until the Navy turned up...

Or RN destroyer next to surfaced U-boat, and see if anyone can spot the Enigma machine be taken off the U-boat...

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

BV 138 flying boat refueling from U-Boat mid-Atlantic. Both used the same mix of diesel. The problem with this is that you have to build the Supermodel BV 138, which is not for the faint of heart.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

weren't the milch cows variations on the type 7"s who's the most fanatic basher?

Here's a good start for a bash -

Rufus

so a milk cow reloading another 7c could be done. you'll need 4 kits now, rufe, or is that 5?

Make it five...who's counting...my source already has a second one waiting for me.

Somewhere in my research I ran across something that said U-boats operating in the far north atlantic had thier upper surfaces painted white...that would be another cool paint scheme to try! So there's at least three I'd like to do as of now - a "tiger striped" one, U-96 from "Das Boot", one with a red hull, and a white one. I think this is going to be a REALLY fun model to paint.

AND - I'm looking into just what I'll be getting into if I open up all those spill holes in the sides of the hull...it's screaming "just do it"! I'd like to see some etch for this kit - not really for the deck plating, but for the guns, conning tower, and such. So I'll be gathering my fleet and waiting a bit to start actually laying keels...

Reply to
Rufus