u boat commander

when i was in the 7th grade at kaiserlautern jr high, we had a german language teacher who had been a u boat commander. we thought he was the coolest because he let us drink and smoke on field trips. we took a rhine river cruise and got shit faced. no one aquealed on him. i wish i remembered his name or knew how to find it.

Why not contact the school direct? I'd imagine they might still have a record of him.

Regards

Graham

Reply to
Graham Townsend

it was closed long ago.

Ah - thought that one seemed a bit obvious. Off the top of my head, how about Google, looking up the education authorities in the town you were living in, that sort of thing? Alternatively, does uboat.net have a list of commanders? Seeing the name may jog your memory...

Reply to
Graham Townsend

the army won't help. don't remember his name at all.

If you were at a US military-sponsored school for dependants, I would imagine that the school would have had official records. You could try the USAFE or USAREUR to see what's on their websites. Failing that, why not try NARA.

I know that many of the UK Forces Schools have websites for reunions and such, your old school may have something similar.

Good luck!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

How about the other kids you were at school with? One of them may remember. We have a website for getting schoolmates in touch called Friends Reunited, is there something similar where you are?

Reply to
Graham Townsend

nope,don't know anyone from then.

worth a shot, thanks.

Jimbo D

worth a shot. trouble is, i had lots of german teachers and friends. thanks.

would be neat if it turned out to be the likes of Otto Kretchmer, but I think he served as an Admiral in either NATO or the new German Navy ?

Reply to
Daryl

no, it wasn't him. but from what i remember, he did sink ships. he was tight lipped about it.

Or Günther Prien but he was killed during the war.

Reply to
Lugnut

Otto Kretschmer Born on 1 May, 1912 in Heidau, Liegnitz. Crew 30. Fregattenkapitän (1 Sep, 1944) Knights Cross winner (4 Aug, 1940) Died on 5 Aug, 1998, Bavaria. Commands: U-35, U-23, U-99

Reply to
Lugnut