Why no "War of the Worlds" kit(s)

I'm very surprised that no one seems to be doing a kit at least based on the tripods from Spielberg's War of the Worlds remake. The design is pretty sweet and I'd think would offer a lot of possibilities as far as interior lighting, and super detailing. In fact, it's strange that there's absolutely

*no* models, toys or really any product tie-ins with this movie at all as far as I can tell.

T.B.

Reply to
TB

Maybe the alien company that designed and built the vehicles wouldn't license any earth company to make the kits for their vehicles? :-)

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Right! That does it. Blowing things up and generally making a mess of the world is one thing, but not allowing kits to be built of the hardware is totally unacceptable :-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Is it possible, that who ever now controls the "H.G. Wells empire"; has a say into whether or not such tie-in items are produced and marketed?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

To be honest, WOTW isn't a real big merchandising tie-in movie like Star Wars or Batman. Other than the martain tripods, there really isn't any "cool" stuff in the movie. I doubt you'll be seeing a Tom Cruise action figure (with real couch jumping action!) or the Farmhouse Basement playset at the local Walmart. I can see some garage company making a resin martain tripod, but that's about it.

Reply to
Dave Williams

Maybe they were made by Sikorsky?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

could be fun though. add a Barbie and a meat grinder, add in a few drops of red dye and crank away.

Instant martian spaceship!

Craig

Reply to
crw59

It may not be "corporate". I was thinking along the lines of "family". Peter Jackson and Company had go through a *lot* of hoop jumping, with the Tolkien family, just to get his LotR movies made.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

we meant the same thing....tolkien and well's heirs run companies to exploit the works of their ancestor. so you are correct. i've heard well's heirs make disney corp look like a charity.

sick, dude. (looks good)

Perhaps because it wasn't a very good movie. Once past the overdone and gratuitous special effects, it was low average.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

worth a $4 rental when it's out?

According to

Wells' work is in the public domain in the US, so no Tolkien or A.A. Milne (pooh bear, massive lawsuits against Disney) type copyright hassles.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Maybe the TC figure would debate the Matt Lauer figure on psychology...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

...who would want to make sure that only 'quality' representations would be made.....

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I wouldn't bother. Heck, I couldn't talk myself into buying the last ST/NG movie at a discount.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

If I recall correctly, copyright expires 50 years after the author's death. Wells died in 1946, so 1996 would be the expiration date. Old stories might well be true then.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

i wonder what the new mickey mouse law will be when it's walt's 50?

Maybe but I'd try bargaining for a discount ;~)

Reply to
Bill Woodier