WW2 Movies

Maiesm72 wrote:

Groucho Marx?
(The mind boggles at *that* thought...)
--
Edwin

(Remove "DIESPAMDIE!")

You got it!
Give that man a cigar...complete with black frame glasses and a mustache.

That's pretty much what the studio thought.
Margaret Michel was a big fan of Groucho's. She wanted him to break out of comedy and try drama.
Can you imagine, in your best Groucho Marx impersenation, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" Leering the line from the side of his mouth while flicking the ash from the end of his cigar.
So, tell us, did you know already or was it the clues?
Tom
Maiesm72 wrote:

Believe it or not, that was the WAG* of the Century on my part! The only other actor of that era that I could think of who regularly smoked cigars in his movies was Edward G. ("Where's your Messiah *NOW?!!!*) Robinson -- an even *MORE* mind-boggling choice...
*Wild-Ass Guess
--
Edwin

(Remove "DIESPAMDIE!")

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/8871/searchforrhett.html
Buster Keaton
Maiesm72 wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Richa5011) wrote in message

Retaking the original treat, I recall two movies, one was with Richard Burton acting as a german seargent, it started on the Russian front and ended up in Normandy (or something like that) Don't remember the name...
And other was based on one of Sven Hassel books (it was made in Spain or in Denmark) The Misfit squadron?...
It was some years ago...
there was also a mini-series made in the then USSR...
Max

On 29 Apr 2004 07:17:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@microteja.com (Max Salas) wrote:

This probably was "Breakthrough", the continuation to "Cross of Iron" (aka "Steiner - Das eiserne Kreuz, 2. Teil"). The original had James Coburn as Sgt. Steiner.

--
__________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke
\_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru

Captain Corelli's Mandolin. No don't laugh, I really enjoyed it.
very OT: speaking of different point of views, this thread made me recall the old, bad joke about what the Bonanza tv show was called in China: "Hop Sing-King of the West"
sorry
Craig
Les Pickstock wrote:

That's mainly from the Russian POV.
WmB wrote

'A Time to Love and a Time to Die' was adapted from a book by Remarque (as was the also from the German viewpoint 'All Quiet on the Western Front') but apparently without getting the same popularity. Perhaps everyone thought that WW2 had actually been worth the effort...
Mike Keown wrote:

[snipped]
Damn! Now you've reminded me of a film on cable many years ago whilst scanning the channels. On RTL (possibly) it was a British sub film with the Brits speaking German. The whole plot seemed to lose sense as one sub fought it out with one from the Axis forces. The funniest film ever and I'm annoyed I didn't record it.
Richard.
I'd love to see some WWII Japanese movies like "Hayabusa pilot" available in the west. Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
No one mentioned the excellent WWII movie, "The Man Who Never Was". True life account how the British Navy deceived the Germans about the invasion landing location.
Jeff
MAYSUN5961 wrote:

Much better than Operation Crossbow even though I shopuld be a bit biased, having met the V1 test pilot as a teenager, selling her a newspaper from my stand.
Richard.
Keeper wrote:

One I remember stumbling on late one night on TV was "Attack Squadron" starring Toshiro Mifune. It was a story loosely based on the 343rd Naval Air Corps, "Genda's Circus", with Mifune as Genda. Kawanishi Shiden Kai models, 1:1 scale. Was pretty impressive on TV. This was made post war, I agree that "Hayabusa Regiment" would be a nice film to have on DVD.
                            Bill Shuey

I recommend "Die Brcke" http://imdb.com/title/tt0052654 /
Surprisingly enough it even seems to be available on DVD. I also like the book. I was particularly moved by it when reading it for the first time at the same age as the depicted characters.
Mikko
How about "Summer of My German Soldier" with Bruce Davison as a German POW in the US who hooks up with a local jewish girl played by Kristy McNichol.