API Programming Options

Hi gang,

I threw this out about 18 months ago without too much response, but here goes again.

I've currently got some time on my hands so I'm rewriting my Visual Basic based custom property tool to be much more flexible and network friendly.

I am looking at using XML to allow the user to customize the interface and variables ala sw3cp. The data will be optionally stored in a SQL database that can be used for document tracking etc.

Most of this has been done by others, but I wanted to roll my own to get the experience of the creating all the programmatic elements.

Seeing as VB is decidedly outdated, I am looking at alternatives.

I'm in the process of downloading the new VB.net express and C# express for evaluational purposes.

If VB.net or C# isn't viable (or if the learning curve is going to be too much for this old fart), how about some of the other available programming options, ala;

Python (Markus Wankus was doing some experimenting using Python to drive SWx) Java (I know Jim Sculley was working on an interface, Jim?)

4GL Delphi etc, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Chris Dubea

I use vb.net It is close to VB you have to be a little more explicit with some of your code but the code finishing is lightyears beyond VB6 and they have added full Object Oriented approach

Say you have object class A you don't know much about it

With less than 10 lines of code you can create Object A1 have it work identical to class A except you added a new function or Property. I didn't find the switch to be too cumbersom but once I got the hang of vb.net I love it. Also .Net has XML handling code built into right into it so that will make those steps that much easier.

Corey

Reply to
CS