XMLPropWorks

Greetings all,

In the past I had written various VB routines for managing my custom property data. unfortunately, it seemed that every new customer had different requirements for such, so the versions began multiplying and were getting hard to manage.

I looked around a bit and found swCP3 by Vinodh Kumar M. I studied the package and was impressed by the configurability, but there was some major functionality that I wanted which wasn't in the package. So, with Mr. Markapuram's permission, I utilized the idea of a XML set up file to create a completely customizable custom property manager.

Where I differed from swCP3 is the ability to:

1) Create unique pages for each of the three document types 2) Write the output data to an Access database file (SQL writing is in the works) 3) Remotely locate the setup file (for network usage amongst many users) 4) Create variables and data which are transparent to the user for inclusion either in Custom Properties, or writing to the database. 5) Display a bitmapped image of the file in the page (I will be writing this to the database in a later version)

and some other which don't immediately come to mind.

I've been using the package for a while and have squashed all the obvious bugs, but I'm certain those creative individuals out there can find more.

Be forewarned that the package comes with a sample setup XML data file, but to get full utility of this package will take some time to set it up to your specific needs. It took me a full day to set it up, and a couple of days of tweaking after that to get it where I wanted it.

I've got a couple of early beta testers out there (you know who you are!) but am throwing this out to see who might be interested enough to do a final beta test.

The package will be released as freeware, but I am seriously thinking about requiring user registration. I haven't decided yet.

Let me know what you think here, as this e-mail address is decidedly non-functional. I stopped putting real e-mail addresses in usenet messages a LONG time ago because of Chinese and Korean spam. Once I get an idea of the interest level, I'll figure out a way to distribute it.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
cdubea

I've found some customer property managers that will copy property values from a file on disk or copy all the same property values to all files in a directory, but none that copied from an active document to another open document. I had a work around for a long time (using an .exe API program which resided outside of SW). But I've finally have a function that allows this within SW, but it's still kinda a hack.

It would be great to have the manager apply the current entered values to any SW open document, and as a separate function, apply them to any SW document on disk. With this function included, your planned package looks very desirable.

Matt

Reply to
fcsuper

Hey Chirs,

Can you email me a copy? Sounds nice.

Reply to
SW Monkey

Chris,

I'd like like to take a look at this also...

DT

snipped-for-privacy@mov> Greetings all,

Reply to
DT

Me too!

ps. check out my SWxx-tools at

Markku Lehtola

H'mmm. I'll have to think about this and how to do it under the confines of the way XMLPropWorks was written. I know what you are saying about copying a set of props from one file to the next though. One of the variations of my hardcoded custom property routines I had in the past sensed what document was active. So you could initiate the routine for one document, read the CP's, switch to another document and write the same CP's. It was serendipity because I didn't purposely design it to work that was. I was something of a VB and Swx API newb at the time.

Chris

Reply to
cdubea

Check your e-mail for a download link.

cd

Reply to
cdubea

H'mmm. You have some interesting util's there. Your SWit tool is pretty cool. Check you e-mail for a download link to XMLPropWorks.

Reply to
cdubea

Check your e-mail for a download link.

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Chris,

I would like to try it also.

Montie

Chris Dubea wrote:

Reply to
Montie

Done!

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

I'd like to try it as well. Thanks!

Reply to
dvanzile3

cd, I had to change my email address. Can you email the link to my new address? Thanks.

Reply to
SW Monkey

I'd like to try this too.

Cheers.

Reply to
Donegalforever

Done =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

done =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Ran out of times for your spamgourmet address? You know you can renew them at spamgourmet.com? I'm a BIG fan of spamgourmet.com. I pretty much use it for all those web sites and such that HAVE to have your e-mail address. It's interesting to go back and look at the hits the various addresses have received. The worst culprit in my case is JC Whitney followed closely by CNET. Sun is pretty bad as well.

I sent the link again.

Have fun =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Look interesting, Chris. May I have a download link, please?

Real address (with obvious corrections) is: art dot woodbury at stereoimaging dot com

Thanks

Reply to
Art Woodbury

done =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Hi,

about your beta release, here's my experience after installation (didn't touch any of the xml files)

Installation: quite old VB-stuff? I have used InnoSetup to create installation packages, it's very nice and free, very recommended. With that you can also easily register your dll so that when you start SW after installation your app is already loaded (now it wasn't)

Models: if I don't save my part/assy nothing happens when I press the app button. With saved models I get "run-time error 13, type mismatch", and the gui appears almost empty (some buttons on the left side)

drawings: seems to work for me.

I really like the idea of having a database behind it all (in fact that is something that I would like to add to my own prop software called SWit, but the base code is soooo old that I rather rewrite the whole stuff)...you can add some neat database search capabilities...

I have talked a while ago with Vinodh about the use of XML...I still think that for most of the people it's not a good way to handle settings because they just don't want to install xml viewer and learn all the stuff (people are lazy you know), but this is just my opinion and I might be little old fashioned here :-)

regards Markku

SWCP

Reply to
Markku Lehtola