XMLPropWorks

I tried running the install, but the first thing it said is some of my files are out of date. I am leary about updating any files from installers like this, considering my PC is usually up-to-date.

It doesnt tell me what files are out-of-date, any ideas?

Reply to
SW Monkey

Installer is quite old, in my case it asked several times should my newer files be kept or not...I kept all my current files. (XP pro sp2). Are you sure it was really telling that your files where old, not newer?

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

H'mmm. Okay, I've duplicated this. It's a function of attempting to get physical properties of an empty model. I'll put in some error checking here. Great. I'll tweak that and post a new dll on the website for everyone to grab. Probably won't be until tomorrow tho'.

You might be right. Unfortunately, it would be a MAJOR rewrite to convert it to some other sort of setup. The XML made parsing the setup file very easy.

Thanks so far, =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

I've put in some error checking for the situation where a zero quantity may result for a physical property.

The non-functionality when the file isn't saved has been fixed as well.

To all those who grabbed a copy, use the same link I e-mailed to you, but replace the zip with dll. Then put this in your install directory.

Let me know how it works.

If anyone is interested in a non-dll version (.exe) let me know and I'll put it on the site.

Thanks,

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Hi Chris

I would be interested

John Layne

John Layne

Im not sure what im doing wrong. I ran the install, but I dont see any addin or new pull-down or toolbars in SolidWorks. Is there something else im suppose to run besides the install?

Reply to
SW Monkey

SW Monkey kirjoitti:

Tools-Add-Ins -> XMLPropWorks should be found there

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Nope. Im using SW 2005, is that supported?

Reply to
SW Monkey

SW Monkey kirjoitti:

Oops, sorry, my mistake. you have to register the dll first by opening it with SW (normal File-Open, selected filetype Add-Ins (*.dll)), then you can see it at Tools-Add-Ins...

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Chris, I accidently deleted the email you sent. Can you resend...thanks. Derek

Reply to
DT

Done,

Please remember to grab the new copy of the dll per an earlier message.

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Hi all,

My ISP informed me this morning that I'm nearing my bandwidth limit this month. (You don't get a lot for $6 a year!), so I took XMLPropWorks down from my website. So all those links I sent out will now be dead.

It's been a month since I let a dozen people or so beta test it. I've gotten a few responses, but nothing earthshattering.

What's the verdict folks?

Useable, or not worth the trouble? Better with changes? I've got a couple of ideas for v1.0, but am holding on to those until I get some response from the beta testers

Thanks

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Chris,

Any chance I could get a lick in this late in the game? If you google you can email me. I've given swCP3 a good thrashing and really think his approach is the way to go.

Reply to
TOP

I'll send you a usendit link. =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Chris,

Thanks. XMLPad is really cool too.

Chris Dubea wrote:

Reply to
TOP

Most assuredly.

I'm looking into the functional requirements for XMLPropWorks. I'll get back to you.

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

I've not gotten a lot of feedback on XMLPropWorks, so either it's way to much of a pain to set up, or it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Beta testers, which is it?

I ask, as I'm contemplating the next step. I'm a photographer and I use iMatch to manage my graphic files. The neat thing about iMatch is it has a VERY powerful scripting capability. I've been corresponding with the author of iMatch and he assures me that getting SolidWorks files cataloged in iMatch is doable.

iMatch is inexpensive ($60) and would make a really nice replacement for Columbus which I had written apps for in the past. Arup went to a commercial model a while back and there are still way to many bugs in displaying non-AutoCAD files to spend any further time writing front ends for Columbus. The free version is still available, but you cannot use it on any files not on your computer. A fatal limitation in my view.

Have a look at iMatch

Would the capability to manage SolidWorks files in iMatch be of use to anyone? If so, what kind of functionality would you like to see built in? I have a question into the author about moving files in iMatch. I'm hoping I could build a script which would reconnect file references if a file was moved (or renamed, etc), something like Explorer. This would be really cool. iMatch has some really good cataloging tools which would be exceedingly handy for managing files. This could be fairly powerful if done right.

Combining this functionality with XMLPropWorks might be a really neat. It would allow for effective file management without the restrictions of a full blown PDM.

Opinions? =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Chris Would it be possible to get a copy of XML Prop Works for review? Thanks

Chris Dubea wrote:

Reply to
DiscDawg

Chris,

I agree that being able to add SWX files to Imatch would be cool. Have you consider integrating the SWX container into Gallery

instead?

I have a gallery install running at:

if you would like to see it.

What about adding a SWX container to an RSS feed. Not sure how I would use that, but I could imagine that there could be some nice uses of that.

Another possibility would be to add the SWX container to the RSS feed imbedded into a open source blog (like the one at

Could I get a copy of the latest version of XMLprops?

Would you like for me to host the file downloads at montie.com?

Thanks, Montie Montie Design

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Montie

Talking to Mario about the iMatch front end, it seems like it's doable, but I need to do some investigation as to the capability. I wanted to be able to attach some functionality to the iMatch file function stuff, but I'm told there is no ability to do that :

I'll have to look at this. I'm still a RSS noob.

I've sent you an e-mail

Reply to
Chris Dubea