Cone in a groove

First of all, I'm a newbie to SW, but I've a friend who has used it for years, and this problem has got him stumped. Its to do with mating a cone with the Vee in a V-block. Specifically, I've made two parts: a cone and an anvil. The cone is formed by revolving a cut on the end of a rectangular bar 12.7x8x60mm resting on a 60x8mm face. The axis of the cone is a line that starts from the mid-point of a lower 8mm edge, in a plane parallel to the

60x12.7mm sides, at an angle to the bottom 60x8mm face equal to half the included angle of the cone. The anvil is a simple V-block, with the included angle of the Vee (currently 90 degrees) larger than the incuded angle of the cone (currently 32 degrees).

I want to mate the V-block to the cone so that...

  1. The tip of the cone lies in the bottom of the Vee
  2. The surface of the cone is tangential to both faces of the Vee
  3. The 2 faces of the anvil parallel to the axis of the Vee are parallel with the 12.7x60 faces of the cone bar.

Despite the SW docs saying that tangential mates can be created between conical and flat surfaces, it just doesn't work. I can assemble this manually, but I want SW to do it parametrically. I'm using SW2005, my friend uses an earlier version and SW2006. Any ideas?

PS. My friend posed this problem to some colleagues using SW2006. They said "Easy, just use tangential mates". He then asked them to demonstrate, but they were amazed that it didn't work.

Reply to
lemel_man

I didn't have a problem in 2006 SP0.0

TOP

Unfortunately I can't open your drawings in 2005, so can't see what you did. What mates did you use?

Reply to
lemel_man

Two tangents and a parallel in 2006. Two tangents and an angle in 2005. Apparently it doesn't like parallel in 2005..

TOP

I get it to work with parallel in 2005. In the same file TOP posted. Go figure.

Reply to
Ivan

Which Service Packs are you two running?

John Layne

John Layne

I can see the mates you applied, and tried replacing the 'angle' with a 'parallel', but didn't get that far. When I suppressed the 'angle' I got an error message saying the mate group contains mates with errors and that the tangential mates cannot be solved. When I unsuppress the 'angle' I get the same error message but now with all three mates being un-solvable. I'm using SW5 SP0. Any ideas?

Reply to
Gary Wooding

I opened it on another machine with SW2005 SP3.1 and had no problems with it. I even changed the angle mate to parallel.

I suppressed the angle mate without problems also.

One interesting thing is that moving the cone tipped bar causes that part to show a rebuild flag. There are no in-context features or external references from the Cone Tipped bar so it is hard to explain why moving it would create a situation that requires a rebuild.

Lemel_man,

Why not try applying a newer service pack to SW?

Reply to
TOP

John, I have no problem with a parallel mate either.

Win XP Pro sp2 SW2005 sp5

Muggs

"John Layne"

Reply to