"Copy settings" between major releases

I've been using the Copy Settings wizard to transfer my SWX settings either between computers and (more commonly) to restore them after installing a major new release (i.e. one of the annual ones).

My VAR told me yesterday that they don't advise doing this for major releases, and that I should manually recreate all the settings. This could then be saved and used on other pc's after they have been upgraded.

Is this really "necessary"? It seems astounding to me that I should be advised to go through an error prone manual procedure to change file locations (the most important aspect for me) along with a host of other tweaks. The conversation took place because my VAR was trying to chase down a problem/bug I'm currently experiencing.

What does everyone else do?

John H

Reply to
John H

I tend to recreate the settings from scratch, but not for bug dodging reasons. I use this as an exercise in exploring new features, evaluating new defaults and re-evaluating how and why I choose the settings I do. Sort of a continuous improvment thing. Oh, and parallel installs need different paths, if you're into that sort of thing.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I agree with the VAR. One example is that SW2008 has moved the location of some of the files so that they are under All Users rather than the installer user. If you import settings, you may point to a location that is no longer correct. I always figure that it's important to see what has changed, what settings have been added, what's standard out of the box, etc. because there may be things I want to change because they are better. If you always just keep things the way they were, you don't get the opportunity to use new stuff.

The other reason is that you may actually have some setting that becomes detrimental to performance, etc., so I don't want to perpetuate those kinds of things. I always start a major version with out of the box and then manually go through all the settings.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I would modify this a little bit. You can save different portions of your settings into different files. There's no point loosing all of your shortcuts, for example, so save those into a separate backup and restore just them.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

True, but when new "standard" shortcuts are added, then dumping all the old ones may or may not really be the most desirable thing to do. For example, I am changing our "standard" hotkeys of "s" & "r" because of the new out-of-the-box hotkeys in SW2008. The 2008 ones are important enough for me to modify my habits and files to incorporate the new changes.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany