New Solidworks Forums up

ha! yes this makes me laugh... they implemented none of the features people asked for over and over again, cut customer feedback altogether and locked everything but api,edrawings and drawing editor. no wonder we can't get our curvature comb outline back...why was I expecting something like this....such arrogance....gotta luv the good ol' USof A ,bastion of democracy and freedom ;o)

hmmm well in that spirit I would like to remove all my past helpful posts on their forum...no reason why I should provide free assistance exclusively to subs customers is there? or post enhancement ideas here either for them to troll for that matter... can someone on subs confirm that all of the previous forums posts were removed in the change over please. thanks

Reply to
neilscad

everything is still there

Reply to
kenneth

Ok thanks I looked at the forum rules and charter (or at least the latest ones) and I can't find any statement defining ownership of contributions or indeed any right for a poster to have their own posts removed if they wish, though there are numerous conditions for SW to remove content. I did not participate there for the sole benefit of subscription customers.

Now that non subs customers are excluded it seems like I need to contact SW directly and deny any permission for them to use/have my previous posts on their website for commercial purposes ie to exclusively assist their current and future paying customers....

Reply to
neilscad

Ditto, my login doesn't work.

Muggs

T> Seems to be screwed up. I lost my login.

Reply to
Muggs

My login didn't work last night, but it works this morning.

Very glad to see SW has discovered the alphabet, makes things easier to find.

Some of the forums that require special access seem to be missing...

Also the "mark as read" functionality appears to not be working

Reply to
matt

i found 3 issues last night and posted them;

- email notification

- personalized forums

just a wild ass guess here, sw must have took the new site offline and put the old one (read only) back online.

if you go thru the customer portal and select discussion forums you should be able to get in.

Reply to
kenneth

Yep. My login won't work either.

I guess I'll try again later....

Ricky Jordan CSWP Dynetics, Inc.

Muggs wrote:

Reply to
Ricky Jordan

I had to enter the login for the portal again to read the forums.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yep. The new forums require a Customer Portal login account. If you had one previously, it should still be working. If you accessed the forums via the old URL, and didn't have a Customer Portal account, you will need to set one up.

We're still working through a couple of minor issues, but for the most part, the new forums are working very well. There are lots of new features, new functionality, and you are able to customize them to your liking.

Richard

Reply to
doyle808

using my customer portal i still get the old forums.

i see the news and tech alert:

- new solidworks discussion forums 12/1/2006

Reply to
kenneth

I am seeing the same thing at work. Even though the links are correct I am getting the old forum. I have also cleaned out the cache in Internet Explorer and am seeing the same thing. On my home computer I can get to the new forum.

It may be a DNS server thing if SolidWorks changed where the site is located. It takes a while for DNS record updates to propagate through to all the DNS servers on the entire internet.

One other thing that is bothersome at home is that it is not saving the check for 'Remember Me'. So I have to log in each and every time to the forums. The new SolidWorks forum is the only forum, of the many I frequent, that I am seeing this behaviour on.

Regards,

Anna Wood

kenneth wrote:

Reply to
Anna Wood

Didn't work for me yesterday does today. Can not see any "mark as read" functionality.

I still prefer the simplicity of comp.cad.solidworks when viewing with Outlook Express,:-

1/ It's easy to see new subjects, on any subject. I don't have to click on 20 different categories to find a post I might have some casual interest in. The new "Latest Topics" feature in the new forum goes some way to resolving this and it helps having a 20 inch monitor.

2/ Replies to subjects are easy to spot, i.e. in bold. Not sure how I'm supposed to spot new replies in the new forum.

3/ I find viewing posts as threads the most logical way to view posts, the default here in comp.cad.solidworks., when viewed in Outlook. Threading is an option in the new forum, but you have to click the button each time you want to view posts in that way (again I'm glad I have a 20 inch monitor for this a smaller screen would be dominated by the useless space at the top of the screen)

Will I use the new forum? Yes, I will not have much of choice, if I want to learn from and help others. Comp.cad.solidworks seems to not to attract as many new users as it used to, new users are probably using the SolidWorks forum. On the old SolidWorks website there was some mention of comp.cad.solidworks, possibly even a link, that seems to have been removed from the new site (Conspiracy theorists and paranoids please feel free to elaborate on the removal of that link)

John Layne

John Layne

We are hoping to have this capability in the near future.

Did you try changing your profile? There are a couple of different options for viewing messages.

Reply to
doyle808

I had the same issues. Identifying and finding what's read and what's not looks to be a chore on the new forum.

WRT your item #3, the threaded view can be set to default in your profile settings.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks. Didn't see that Personal Options button, seems to be trying very hard not to actually look like a button.

John Layne

John Layne

Thanks, eventually found the heavily disguised option button and have now set it to view as threaded, it does help slightly.

However the posts below the threaded view are linear and not indented. So for a long series of posts to figure out the who's responding to what means scrolling up and down the screen to see the thread window and then scrolling back down to view the post.

Viewing, threaded, posts here via Outlook Express is still far simpler and easier to follow IMHO.

And now for a rant about buttons:--

Ironically if that, "Personal Options" button didn't have a graphical check box next to it I would have, possibly, figured it out that it was a button sooner. Visual clues, as to what is clickable, on websites and forums should follow a reasonably standard theme within the site, buttons should look like other buttons IMHO. The jpg link below shows, 7 or 9, different styles of clickable items within the site, I find this sort of inconsistency a little confusing. One or three would be nice. Given a few minutes (and a couple of cups of coffee) I'll eventually figure it out but, I don't understand why it needs to be that way.

John Layne

Reply to
John Layne

John can I prevail upon you please to do an author search of the new forum and archives to confirm that SW have removed all my posts as I requested. I have an email from Greg to say this is the case but I want to make sure. thanks

Reply to
neilscad