New Solidworks Forums up

got my vote as well.

actually, the old forum was almost as easy to use as outlook express. in the old forum options, you could set it so that the threads were collapsed, which in turn would invoke bold type being set for new responses. also, the count as to what was new (marked as read) was far easier to follow. i guess not many users knew about these settings.

i still don't understand what the big push to change was for. i think the new layout has the user jumping thru numerous windows unnecessarily. the old forum was a single window, can't simplify any better than that.

oh well.

Reply to
kenneth

Just tried, can't be sure. Did an Advanced search for "Neil" in the Author search criteria and found no results also searched for john (and John Layne and Matt) and found no results. What name were you using in the old forum? Can you remember under what subject you last posted?

It really is a shame that non subscription customers are denied access to the forum, it will be a lesser place without them.

John Layne

John Layne

hmmm ok perhaps search is not working yet... I think I posted as 'neil' there too..my mind is going...I am older than you you know. The last one I am not sure but there was a recent entry in 'sketching' to do with curvature combs. It was in reply to Paul Salvador. There was an attachment of a pic showing a possible soln to the outline issue. thanks

Reply to
neilscad

Just found a post from Paul saying "interesting idea, Neil!" in response to the spline combs issue, dated 11/22/06 (I'd like to be able to change the date format as well to dd/mm/yy, but that's very picky).

Your post is not there, now I'll never know just how interesting that idea was!

John Layne

John Layne

ok thanks very much John. seems like it has actually been done then. subs customers should not be able to find any of my previous posts on the new forum. let me know if you guys see any...maybe I should offer a prize ;o) it will be a little disjointed here and there but mostly it is in archives that no one visits anyway so no biggy. the folks I have assisted will have moved on to other things and I am sure others can generate ideas just as well...though possibly with not quite the same 'entertaining' verve :o) have a nice weekend thanks for your assistance

Reply to
neilscad

Wonder if the exclusion, from the forum, of non subscription customers applies to those using the student version?

Excluding a lot of users from the official forum will probably have one positive, that is more users comming here! Where I can easily and simply follow threads ;-)

John Layne

John Layne

I tried to come in from the customer portal but again no joy. I can get into the forum though the portal (sounds like a stargate episode), but what ever I try to click on I get the dreaded "We have no record of that account." error message. So I clicked on create new account. OK now I'm told that that guy already exists. NO S**T!!!

Screw it! I'm stayin' here anyway why am I getting so upset.

See you all here at comp.cad.solidworks, all day, everyday.

Muggs

doyle808 wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Because of the fracturing of the forum into subgroups, I don't find it efficient to use. There are one or two subgroups I keep up on for the diversion, but only really catch up on the others once every other month or so over lunch.

I just don't think it is a reasonable expression of the SWx experience to split the discussion of the software into disciplines that aren't separate in actual practice.

On the project I am working on right now, I am using skills from 4-6 (or more - I don't have it open) of those subgroups. Sure, some can be sequestered (Cosmos, PWx, and PDM come to mind, and I am not entirely sure about PDM - how can you segregate that from assemblies, really?) But most of those groups work as a symphony, together. Can a discussion about surfaing really not cross over into a discussion on sketching? Doesn't a guy making a model need to know the problems that can come upwhen making assemblies or drawings for that model?

The format for this NG is much better to my eyes because its all thrown in to one spot and I can use my own experience to filter what subjects/topics will be useful to me. I can scan -at once- for topics I usually am interested in, but can also follow hunches to look into posts on subjects I am not usually interested in (like equations - I try to use them rarely for various reasons, but still picked up a good tip today from Elmo that I used within an hour of reading it. I would have simply missed that in the other format)

I just wish i could ahve one place, one forum to motior, instead of having to keep up on so many different onese, especially when the other ones are inferior to the original. Ed

Reply to
ed1701

That's what I was trying to say but far less eloquently :)

John Layne

John Layne

Reply to
Jason

The push for the new forum had to do with a shortage of feawtures. The new forum has tons of new features, but I agree still needs a ton of work in usability.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Ed,

I agree. I think the fracturing is more for SW convenience. As a user on the newgroup I can filter what I want with the tools I have. If I want to look at "concentric mates" or "splines" on the NG I can search that and get everything I need for years into the past. I can also contact the poster privately if necessary to get more information. And I can set the NG to be one of the tabs on my browser so it is always there.

Fracturing is for SW convenience as is the login process. For many years we have wanted SW people to show their heads on the NG. So far there are only two or three that can do so with credibility on a regular basis. I am discounting McEleny's cameo appearance a long time ago. There are a few more that will crop up on the forums, but not near the numbers you would expect for something you pay for. There is only one forum with a regular from SW participating that I know of although there are others that pop up as needed.

Another thing that the NG has that no other forum has is a sense of comaradery. You won't find that on SW forums, Eng-Tips or anywhere else.

Reply to
TOP

I KNOW my maintenance subscription lapsed (my VAR received an earfull on the subject), but I am still able to use the new forum. I've been able to post some messages (General, at least).

I find their search routine to be crippled (you can only search topic titles, not a full body search).

I find also amazing that ALL the attachments were wiped out. There's old posts, but none of the great attachments.

There's a lot happening behind the curtains at Solidworks, but what we see out front in this new forum makes their decision making process seem insane. I surely wish they'd behave in a more open and transparent manner. Right now they leave me scratching my head, wondering WTF?

TJ

Reply to
TJ

I'm still holding to my own little conspiracy theory that, between Woz and some of the changes that we have seen, there will be a Mac version of SoildWorks announced for SW2008. Call me crazy (most of you do anyway), but that's my guess.

Muggs

TJ wrote:

Reply to
Muggs

Greg Jankowski posted today, on the new SolidWorks forum, that the new forum was going to be kept open for all SolidWorks customers, regardless of whether you had a current maintenance contract or not. (It is open now to all) All you need to do is set-up an account on the Customer Portal at

I just set-up an account for my significant other that is not tied to a serial number, let alone a service contract, and was able to sign into and view the entire SolidWorks forum.
SolidWorks has some work to do on the usability of the new forum, but they have heard the constructive criticism offered so far and will be working to correct the issues. They are also going to update the Customer Portal pages to make it clearer that you do not need a current maintenance contract to enter the SolidWorks forums. That looks like to will take some time to get updated. (I suspect that it is a different group that controls the code for the Customer Portal)

Regards,

Anna Wood

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Anna Wood

sorry but never again will I make any contribution to this parasitic company no free beta testing, no free sp testing no free forum assistance to other customers covering for substandard customer service no free customer feedback surveys no free bright ideas for product enhancement no recommendation of the product to others or participation in user group clan meetings no excusing pathetic quality for a professional product out of the box no excusing finishing the product to standard over another 9 months no excusing paying for service packs esp for what is an expensive substandard program and no excusing arrogance of their management for: not expressing any regret for their cockups and hiding from customers complaints foisting beta-ware on customers as release quality to preserve profit margins and bonuses trying to assume ownership of freely given information for their own exclusive commercial use and lastly for having shills, puppets and poodles convey their messages, carry their covert advertising and keep them in the heady corrupt lifestyle they have become accustomed to. yours etc.

Reply to
neilscad

Neil,

Have you had a coffee yet?

John Layne

John Layne

Neil, I agree with you in spirit but the truth is (Solidworks cover your ears)... they are still the best tool for the job. Every year I research what's out there expecting, and hoping I suppose, to find something better for what we design in my business. Last year we looked at Wildfire. Good kernel, same old tired interface problems. I think we counted 14 or more clicks to insert and edit a louver. This year was Solid Edge 19 and Inventor 11. Decent programs I suppose but nothing that would save us time and plenty that would add to our time. There is no excusing any of these companies for relying on their next service pack to apologize for their current quality issues. This genie was let out of its bottle in the 90's with AutoCAD. There is no going back. They all rush their product to market and offer it at a price lower than they would prefer and make up for it with annual maintenance plans. To make you laugh, I was so frustrated at Solidworks two years ago that I demo'd Alibre. Good program and in some ways actually stands a chance at making a difference, in exactly the same way Solidworks did back in 98, but they suffer at their own 80/20 rule (80% of the functionality for 20% lower price or something like that - my words, not theirs). I can't live with less functionality than I have now, period. And I, like all of us, am forced to live with stability problems because someone (Autodesk) let an industry genie out of the bottle over 15 years ago and not a single one of these weasels will live any other way now. Love it or hate it, it's the best we've got right now. If Autodesk or UGS were really listening they'd be programming like mad right not to overtake what they could have had all along.

Relax man, no other company is rushing to your aid either. We're on our own. Just my 2 cents...

Eddy

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Hey there John Humourously enough I have just been around my office cleaning the mildewing aluminium window frames with neat Janola (lemon) and the fumes are so strong I am going to have to leave for a couple of hours :o)

I will still help out kiwi users here if I can but I would rather my spend time assisting elsewhere.

BTW I know you are still keen on a scanner. Are you interested in a home made laser scanner and free software to run it? I have come across some info to buid one for about $300NZ. Seems to work quite well and be fairly accurate from what I can glean...might try it myself. I think you would need Rhino to make use of it for SW though. Would be adequate for occasional foam and clay mockups for a small outfit I think.Much better than buying one + SWpremium + maintenance anyway. later

Reply to
neilscad

Eddy I stopped buying SW maintenace at end of SW05 because I was fed up. I am not going to contribute anything more than I have. For me the SW party is over.Reality check time. Others do as they please of course and the best of luck to them. later

Reply to
neilscad