Does Any else agree that a "simplify" tool would be a good idea?

The very first 3D part that I ever worked on was a 3 Phase Motor. But, the model came from the manufacturer and had hundreds of features. I only needed the basic features. My thought was that a "simplify" button would be nice. Such a tool would no doubt be complex but would be very handy for just showing the clearances/ hole position etc. when the part was in an assembly.

One thing that would be needed for this and possibly an approach would be to identify various features as being "complex" or "basic". The complex features would then be suppressed/ un-suppressed, depending on the state of the part, (ie. complex or basic).

Has anyone seen something like this? Does anyone agree that this wold be helpful? Any other ideas?

EdT

Reply to
Ed

"Delete Faces" can go a long way towards simplifying. Also, see what features you can safely suppress.

Since its a purchased part, do you really need a "fully-featured" model and all of its details? You do not have design control over the motor. Export to parasolid and reimport as a dumb solid. Perhaps do this after you have simplified the geometry somewhat. That, or use the manufacturer's model as a template to create your own simplified model of the motor.

Double-shame on the motor manufacturer:

  1. They sent you valuable information that they probably should have kept to themselves
  2. They sent you their engineering model when what you really needed was more of an "application model" (size, shape, mounting points)
Reply to
That70sTick

Have you tried "Simplify" in the Utilities menu? SWX 2007 See "Help"

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein