Everybody go take the installer survey

It's in the usual place on the subscription page.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Does it have a check boxes for..

"It sucks!" "It really sucks!" "I loath it!" "Bamboo is less painful!" "My Mar's snail is faster!"

.. ;^)

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

gladly submitted my $.02

Reply to
kenneth b

Done! Thanks Dale.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Done. But it did not have the below options.

Anyhow, SW Corp should know that WI is slower, what the survey seems to be pointing at is administrative use and it's benefits?? That is, educating the users in how to use the administrative image or copying the cd to a server for faster upgrades??

Thinking out load on who this really is helping/supporting...

So, this is catering to network or server deployment? For IT professionals? Large customer installed support? Windows Server support?

So, are single node users are less important or we're becoming a minority which is being phased out?

..

Paul Salvador wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

We have multiple seats in multiple locations and were doing just fine with the traditional install. So I do not think that large customer installed support fits in. We have not yet tested the WI installer yet so I can not give any input on our experiences.

Reply to
SWuser

In the subscription forum, Greg J. linked to these as the reasons for using WI:

Ability to rollback after installing web-based Service Packs Automatic repair of corrupt or damaged installations Installation can be modified without a complete reinstallation Microsoft Office install look and feel Automated (silent) install via command line

What do you think of that 5th one?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Silent install? Meaning a automated web based install triggered from SW? Or a command line for scheduled installs or a remote install (webex)? This maybe helpful for IT and large installs overnight or VAR support!? Hmm..?

The others... IMHO, if I think there is a corruption or damaged install and for a single node, remove and reinstall, it's fast and easy. Modification of addins using TI was not a problem, was it?

Otherwise again, the WI options listed are all too slow!

And, office look and feel are,....well,... touchy subjects? 8^)

There seems to be some other reasons for this justification?? Micro$oft!? I think M$ is the foundation of this, no?

..

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

It sucks. The people who made it suck. The people in charge of the people who made it suck. The people stuck with it are suckers.

Reply to
TheTick

Dale,

Doesn't give you the option of where to store the rollback data. Eats up huge chunks of disk space. inconsistent results.

SW is flakey enough when it's installed "right". If I have a situation like this I'll uninstall, strip the registry, and re-install. Probably faster anyway

I've only had the need for this once or twice in seven years. Again, doing an update install with T.I. is faster and cleaner

Big woop !!! who gives a rats ass

From the sound of things around here, doesn't seem to work very well. Really only applies to large installations with a full time IT geek. Probably the only "minority" SW ever did anything for.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

We were already doing silent installs using the traditional. It took extra coding on our end but we were doing it. That is if I fully understand what silent install means. What I mean is the user goes to our webpage clicks install and sits back and watches. A few minutes later he or she has SolidWorks.

Reply to
SWuser