Hardware Improvements & "Save" Performance

Recently, I've been working on an assembly drawing with 4 configurations, 6 sheets, 363 components, 200 of these "unique", and many of these unique parts are sheet metal components. Using my 20 month old Toshiba Laptop, the "save" times were getting too long and were effecting my productivity. I made some improvements to both my Laptop and Desktop and here are the summary results: Note: All times from my wristwatch. Default: Toshiba Laptop 5105-S501 512MG Ram = 35 seconds to "save" and/or "crash". Add 512 MG Ram = 25 seconds and/or "crash". Enable 3 GB "Switch" = 13 seconds. (no more crashing)

Desktop P4 2.6 No H/T 2GB Ram 750 XGL 80GB HD IDE UMA 100 = 18 seconds to "save" Add SATA 74GB 10,000 Raptor HD, Retain existing 80GB HD as second HD, partition this second HD (15/60), move "page file" to first partition, move all data to second partition, enable 3GB "Switch" = 8 seconds

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Interesting. Why does the 3GB switch accelerate save times? I can see how it would prevent a crash if SW tries to allocate too much memory during a save, but what makes it faster?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Just for curiosity, take a look at your task manager and see what the peak commit charge goes to. I too am a bit baffled as to why save times would improve with the switch. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it changes how the information is stored, as in it can access it more efficiently. But even that thought doesn't hold much water.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

My guess would be that it has something to do with swapping programs and other data in and out of memory making it easier for the OS to accomodate SW need for contiguous memory. I have a little test part that can run SW out of memory under certain conditions. I suppose Devon has found another case were this is so.

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
kellnerp

Ultimately, what I want to know is, if I should enable the 3GB switch to increase save performance, even though I don't need it for capacity.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Can you explain in basic terms what the "3GB switch" actually does?

I must admit, I didn't pay attention or read about it a few weeks back when it was noted in the group.

Thanks - Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Shame on you! Ok, that was my tough voice....

I just emailed the 2 articles to you - read up and come back with more questions.

One of the issues we didn't cover was the faster saves being reported in this thread, and it appears that either we don't understand something (very possible), Devon is getting some other influence in there that isn't being realized (also possible), or he's just yanking our chain (definitely possible.) :-) Hopefully by enough testing, we can zero in on this one.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I have not been on this board in a while but I am running into major performance problems when I open or save files. What is this 3 gig switch thing you are all talking about? Im thinking of upgrading to a SCSI drive to help alleviate my problems.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Cruz

Implementing the 3GB switch sounds risky after reading Microsoft's warnings with regards to applying this fix to Window XP Professional/SP1 and the fact it has not been regression tested. Has anyone applied the 3GB switch successfully to Windows XP Pro/SP1 and problems if any?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

also I wonder if there will be problems with XPsp2 which is out soon??

Reply to
neil

I asked the technical support person at Microsoft if this limitation would be corrected in SP2. The reply was "don't know-might be." They also couldn't tell me when SP2 would be released. So I don't know anymore now than I did before the phone call.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Hello Wayne- I don't have time to "yank chains", I'm too busy to bother with such nonsense. Also, I'm not really interested in debating if or why I got these results, again, I'm too busy. I posted these results to help others. That's all. If you choose not to believe them, I really don't care. I don't have time to "uninstall" and then "reinstall" these hardware components and software settings to present more information about this subject, again, that's why I posted what I had. The "3GB Switch" issue has been posted here many times in the past. A simple search on "Google" will display the results required to make a decision about installation. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

configurations,

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Hey, I sense a chill in your post here - apparently you couldn't see the tongue in my cheek from there. No harm was intended from my end, rather just a bit of fun. Apology accepted?

I've been around here long enough to know that things aren't always what they seem to be, so therefore when something unusual comes along, I like to get to the bottom of it. Understanding why something happens makes for better utilization of the benefits. Knowing more than just passing knowledge about the 3Gb switch makes me realize that what you presented doesn't make sense at face value, but that's also what makes it intriguing. I really didn't think you made it up, but not being able to explain the observation, leads one to throw out various possible explanations, most of which will be wrong. Food for thought.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

"Kman" Wrote in news:s0hhc.16713$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I just came across this article, which addresses 3GB switch in XP Pro SP1. I would guess if they've provided a hotfix for SP1 there will be support in SP2, but who knows. If you are REALLY curious, get a copy of SP2 RC1 (plenty floating around usenet)...

Virtual Elvis