Tutorial

Where did you guys learned Solidworks? I did do the online tutorials fits with solidworks, but I want some more tutorials Do someone knows more online FREE tutorials??

Reply to
Jan Schets

After that, the best free learning is pick a project and head into it. If you try to pick around and try things, you end up trying only what you know - nothing drives you to figure out how to do something. But if you choose a goal, it stretches the envelope because you need to accomplish something. Then, when you get stuck, ask for help.

There are also some good books out there - Marie Planchard has a wide variety to choose from. Dr. Walt also has some. A lot of them are fairly basic step-by-step, so take a look at the sample chapters to see if they will help you..

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

There are just too many little caveats in SW that you will not discover or extract from a book. Tutorials and books are the broad brush stroke but you won't really know what you need to know and find out what you don't know until you have jumped into a couple of real projects. Working with others that use or are learning SW is very helpful. And then there is the newsgroup, google search, user and VAR websites, SW website (i.e. Express News) and SW help resources.

Have fun!

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Hello Jan,

In addition to the excellent advice Wayne has already given you. I would add take a look around your desk right now. Decide on something to draw in SW; the speaker just to the left of your monitor, your coffee cup, the Linksys cable router, your Ikea lamp, or anything else that's looks interesting. The point is to draw something in SW that you have available to you to measure and look at (maybe take apart). I can't tell you how this has helped me in acquiring the skills I have related to SW in particular and design in general. And to reiterate what Wayne said, when you get stuck (and you will, we all do) invest some time asking in this NG, the peeps here are VERY knowledgeable, nobody knows everything (well, maybe Mike, Paul, Ed...), but collectively I don't think there's a problem that the peeps here couldn't solve.

Just my 2 cents, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

"Muggs" Wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm in the same boat...complete newbie, and here are a few additional ideas:

- I was able to get a free day-long training seminar from a local reseller, and I know many other resellers offer the same thing. Always a bit of sales pitch thrown in, but worth the time. May want to exchange e-mail addresses with fellow attendees since they're likely looking for the same info.

- As others have mentioned, lots of tutorials via Google, but this is one of the better ones I've found:

- Like everyone has said...dive in with a project. I'm doing a router table since I want to make a nice one for my home shop and it's helped me immensely by forcing me to find solutions for actual needs. Also good for getting a basis for framing questions I'm not able to find answers to on my own

Reply to
Virtual Elvis