I Learn Something Every Day

Today I learned how to dissolve text in a sketch and that Solidworks now has global variables which I found so useful in Cadkey. Yesterday I learned how to change the orientation of my reference planes. It's worth 15 minutes a day. Thanks everyone!

Reply to
John Kimmel

I can't stress the value of this group. It's a great tool to learn and obtain help from persons who, for the most part, want to help others to become more proficient in SolidWorks.

So please all you old timers, don't abandon us newer users because of a few bad apples, just filter them out. We need your expertise and guidance, perhaps you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you held a door for someone, helped an old person across the street or answered a post on this newsgroup.

Thanks again,

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

You know, in the same light watch for the ones that you can answer. It's hard to forget the first time Muggs jumped in and exclaimed "Hey, I can answer this one!" or something close to that. You are correct, there is some satisfaction to helping someone over a hurdle - we all started sometime.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I totally agree with you both. This group helped me numerous times when I had problems.

Thank You,

Knotfreak

Reply to
Knotfreak

Yup...! Very helpful and useful people here... thank you. Those "others"... well, haven't killfiled them yet, they're kind of funny...

MT

Reply to
Mike Tripoli

So, where did you learn how to change orientation of reference planes?

Reply to
That70sTick

I remember my first time... Back in my Acad (MDT) days. Some guy in Italy needed to know about the DISPSILH variable. It blew my mind back then just how global things are. I was fascinated by the fact that I could be helpful to someone on another continent. I see even more variety here in this forum. With New Zealanders, people can't be much further away and still be on the planet.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

With New Zealanders, people can't be much further away and still be

Some would say we're 'hangin' off the planet' in a bat like stance...

Reply to
Cam J

Having been on the receiving end of good information many times, I can say that answering seemingly simple questions can be very useful to other people.

I rember my first real exposure to the internet back in about 1989. I was trying to configure a complex AppleTalk network and no one could figure out why things didn't work properly. Someone suggested I post my problem on the appropriate newsgroup and a nice guy in Australia helped solve my problem via about 3 e-mails. I was really impressed with both the internet and the knowledge of the guy in Australia. This problem had stumped half a dozen computer scientists for about two months when I got involved.

Although the internet has come a long way since 1989, its greatest strength is still the cummulative knowledge of the active participants.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

I regularly send New Zealand's version of the world map to friends and family overseas. The one with NZ and Aussie "on the top". Quite an interesting view.

Cheers, anms

Reply to
Dick

That is 100%. It pains me when I tried without success to get my dad to go online, so I could email him to keep him up-to-date and send pictures of his grandkids, but he maintained that it would allow people to spy on him and his activities-( who ?, what activities ?, who cares ? ) there is such ignorance in the world, and foolish minds close the door to the wealth it has to offer.

Reply to
Laz

We use special suction devices down here, to stop from falling off and becoming extraterrestrial.

Reply to
Neville Williams

Now I remember what she said, as I was tromping around 'down under'. When I noted New Zealand was so nice, and rather familiar being similar to Oregon where I grew up, that I might want to stay in New Zealand, my wife-to-be, said...I was falling off her list of husband material. Oh well, I enjoyed my visit and business there. And I still have some mold work done in Auckland, from time to time, off my SolidWorks designs, even (to keep it on topic). Good toolmakers are available in Auckland.

John Voltin noted trying to get his dad online. I have tried to get my best man, and classmate from Oregon Tech into CAD & online for over a decade. No dice. He is one of the best machine designers and builders and an all around top notch machine problem solver. But he almost refuses to touch a keyboard. I simply do not understand, as it has limited him so much, and hurt his income possibilities.

No doubt comp.cad.solidworks has a lot of value for SolidWorks users. We just have to start an 'Open Source' tradition of not even acknowledging the known crud messages. To have an off-topic, non-SolidWorks post get out to dozens of comments just encourages the mental ward residents in their cells to keep typing. No-response would be a 'Move-On' message.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

yup... I'd like to know that one too...

but Thanks to this post, I have learned of McArthur's Universal Corrective Map of the World... I love it!

for a good read!

Reply to
Aussie

Hi Bo

Very interested to know which toolmaker you use in Auckland? Also why?

Regards

John Layne Solid Eng> Now I remember what she said, as I was tromping around 'down under'.

Reply to
John Layne

Without a doubt, the reason is I met a guy here in the U.S., John Cole who rep'd some tooling companies in Auckland trying to get business from the U.S. He couldn't get enough business to make it work during the millenium downturn and went into a biotech firm in the Silicon Valley.

He gave me Peter Kurz' name who runs European Tooling in Auckland. I've had several small molds done there over the last 2-3 years, and he has been quick and the molds & parts have been very good.

The cost of a tool from Auckland was somewhat less than in the U.S. (not like Asia), but I can always count on easy emailing of details and discussions in English that make sense and get the job done quickly.

I also do NOT have to do the Asia routine: ..."I want a class A tool." ......""We do fline work Class work."" ..."I need nitrited or hardened pins and sleeves and guided ejection with a DME hot sprue bushing" ......""Oh, that will be extra...""

I am being unfair to the Asian's, but i have been burned. I also have a friend who is ch. engr. of a sno-board operation and they have been in China forever, and they still have a heck of a time finding the right toolmakers. He had to fire one the other day for failing to do quality work, and the guy jumped up from his desk and threatened to commit suicide if he lost the order. My friend said "We sorry, I'll send flowers.".

The only time I've run late is when I didn't realize what "On Holiday" meant...like don't bother to email or call around Christmas.

I obviously haven't looked around further, but my new designs are going to have to get quoted soon, so who knows where I'll go?

Later - Bo

Reply to
Bo