Modeling inlfated objects (Like Rafts)

Has anyone ever used SW to "unwrap" a solid model? What I am looking to do is use the software in a unique application. We make inflatable products such as shelters and rafts. We can easily make the inflated assembled model and also any accessories such as valves and hardware. But where we need to bring in assistance is taking the inflated model and laying out the panels of material in the flat view. We need to somehow take our inflated tubes and lay out the flat patterns required to assemble the final product. We need to see the true profile needed to cut the material. Part of the problem is that the tubes do not keep a consistent diameter or shape as the you go from one end of the tube to the other, and the tubes intersect and connect so only one aspirator is needed to inflate the assembly.

Think of one of those inflatable Jump Gyms that kids have at birthday parties. How would you get the inflated tubes to also have a configuration that shows flat panels of materials also?

I hope I you can understand what I am talking about. If not I will try to give picture examples.

Rich

Reply to
Rich D

[...]

I modelled a few blow-molded products. There we just made the whole thing solid, didn't bother to shell it out since there is no inside structure.

Never had to "unfold" anything like that, though.

Maybe best to start with a master model that is solid and represents the full product. Then extract surfaces in-context into subordinate parts.

Reply to
That70sTick

I have developed a teardrop shaped aerostat (tethered blimp) by dividing it up in to twelve flat segments then using SW sheet metal to fatten the shape, this worked well enough for our project as the material had some stretch so was a bit forgiving. However whilst investigating this problem I found a package called blankworks this works within SW and can develop complex curves, It worked really well, I downloaded there demo this proved my SW pattern to within 2%, but my shape was simple. Because mine was a one off project we could not justify the expense, although anyone in this or the formed sheet metal area would I think find it a very useful tool

Steve Lovell

Rich D wrote:

Reply to
solid steve

I've used a product called Geometryworks

to flatten complex curved surfaces to produce labels for bottles if that is similar to what you are trying to do?

AFIK you can still download a fully functioning version with a 15 day life.

Kev

Rich D wrote:

Reply to
alphawave