New to SW, will learn a lot from this NG

Greetings All, I'm a die maker who has an interest in CAD software and has taken a pair of SW course in college. Jeez, what a powerful app.... There are so many facets to this, it's beyond me how someone can really master it. Unfortunately, since I don't use it at work, I have to learn on my own time. I find it the most useful to make individual components, assemble them and check for interferences (think cams in a prog die). My local junior college only has the 2 classes, is

worth anything? It looks good from the outside, but almost anything does. I need to improve my sketching skills, among other things. Any other recommended sources? (besides SW for Dummies....) Thanks, Mark

P.S. After lurking in the CNC NG, I have learned to tune out the bickering between jb et al.....

Reply to
mark

I am doing the projects in my Inventor text. Otherwise, I have some drafting texts that I use. I bought some of them at a thrift store for 75 cents and one of them was my board drafting text from long ago. Inventor material is also close enough to easily translate to SW.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Read the help. Experiment on a small scale. Test. If you get a chance attend SolidWorks World. Ask questions. The SW training is good for one reason. It is pretty exhaustive on the interface and you will learn some things that can't be found anywhere else. The drawing book has been very helpful over the years as a reference.

Remember one thing. SW changes a lot. The interface has changed radically about every other year since forever. Concentrate on what it does and doesn't do and how it does it. Then all you will have to do from year to year is learn where they put the buttons.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Check out your local user groups to:

That site also has links to a ton of blogs that serve as great resources.

Matt Lorono

fcsuper

Check out your local user groups to:

That site also has links to a ton of blogs that serve as great resources.

Matt Lorono

Thanks, Matt. Just checked it out and it looks like a lot of resources there.

Reply to
mark

Above all else, ignore any posts from jon banquer. That guy is a total idiot.

Reply to
madcadman

I've been around the block a few times and know how to filter out some of the obvious bs. Thanks, Mark

Reply to
mark