Newbie XYZ wrong way

Hi When looking at the demos of Solidworks it always looks to me as if the XYZ is wrong the z points towards the user. The height of the component is on the y axis. Is this right ? AuldCAD

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
AuldCAD

X is X Y is Y Z is Z Front, Right, and Left are arbitrary associations to X, Y, and Z.

SolidWorks is 3D. If you don't like what is pointing at you, rotate the view.

Look up "Update Standard Views" in help if you want to change orientation of the standard views.

Reply to
That70sTick

Correct but actually the default view is different between some Surface modelers and solid modelers, and animation packages. If I remember correctly, it is Y up in SW and X up in Alias Studio Tools for example. In studio tools, there is an option to change it, as it is annoying to import a model from SW and have it in the wrong orientation.

Daniel

Reply to
daniel

RHC with Z toward the user. On a face Z is pointing out. The front plane coordinate system defines the global coordinates. That is about it.

Reply to
P.

I don't think there really is a standard. In the automotive world that we deal in, X is across the vehicle, Y is front to back, Z is up.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

component is

In the machining world X is accross, Y is away & Z is up & down. SW is backwards in this sense. When importing into a CAM package, mastercam for example, the part needs to be rotated bacause the the part comes in with the solidworks Z turned to match Mastercam Z. The part comes in rotated 90 deg. I don't know why solidworks had Y going up insted of Z. It's a bit of a nuisance to me.

Reply to
torque

"torque" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I suppose CAD is inspired by the drawing board (and math in front of a piece of paper), X to the right, Y towards the top.

In the real world, that sheet of paper is the ground, and Z is elevation.

JM

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

A bit of a different question here...

Is there any way to switch models from RHC to LHC in SolidWorks?

Reply to
Matthew

Exactly. I have been in the machinist trade since 1973, and that's the way I was always told. When 2004 came out and the xyz was wrong, I wrote them in an enhancement request to make it changeable. And I wrote someone in SW and they said I was basically wrong. Hmmmm.....you'd think that a large part of their customers use the program to make machined parts, that they would make it correctable....

Dan

Dan Bovinich

SW has never paid much attention to coordinate systems and for good reason. It is supposed to be a parametric feature based modeler which means that everything is located with respect to everything else and not off a coordinate system.

To switch from RHC to LHC do you mean that all the Z+ dimensi> A bit of a different question here...

Reply to
P.

Just saw that there was another note on my part of this thread...

I've usually heard it as flip X but same difference...

Reply to
Matthew