Oops, found a bad one today.

Our machinist found a bad bug in 2006 today. He happened to know what a certain angle should be and pointed out that it was not showing up that way on the drawing. On investigation it appears that converting from

2004 to 2006 caused the display of an angle dimension in at least this one broken view to display incorrectly. My problem is now to determine if any other drawings had angle dimensions corrupted. Anybody have any ideas?
Reply to
TOP

How exactly did it go bad? Did it get moved to the wrong edge? Is it one of those cases where a feature changed slightly in the newer version?

To answer your question: I haven't yet seen an incorrect dimension that wasn't either dangling or the result of faulty selections on my part. Assuming your usual capacity to notice those mundane things, I wonder if this geometry problem carries forward to 07 (where something might actually be done).

Reply to
Dale Dunn

The dimension was not dangling. In the PM the dimension value was given correctly as 1.79 deg. However, the displayed dimension in the view was .444 deg. Unbreaking the view restored the dimension to it's correct value. The value .444 is the tangent of the angle divided by the scale factor.

The selections were checked ad naseum. This was strictly a display issue.

The fact that the dimension displayed correctly prior to conversion points to a conversion problem.

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
TOP

"TOP" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Eeewww. Tangent divided by the scaling factor? I'm not sure I want to know how you discovered that relationship. Does it retain the correct value after re-breaking the view?

Is this an isolated problem, or did it happen to all of the angular dims in broken views? Does 07 have the same problem? That is, can you reproduce it in a version of SW that is still being maintained?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale,

You have hit on the real problem. How do I know that this has not affected other files? Right now I am working out a macro to tell me which drawings have broken views in them.

And, no, it didn't seem to affect other similar drawings.

In the PM the correct angle shows even though in the view itself the incorrect angle shows. And breaking and unbreaking the view toggles the error. So does checking and unchecking the dimension override.

Reply to
TOP