Another drawing anomoly

Here's another weird problem that I have had with SWX since 2001: Sometimes the dimensions that I import from the model don't connect to the part in the drawing. For example, if I had a drawing of a simple rod, the diameter dimension would come in and point at an immaginary circle offset from the one pictured in the drawing. This happens with all of the dimensions in any one view: they are all offset from where they should be. I can add in reference dimensions and they connect just fine.

I'm using 2003 SP3.1, but this problem has existed as long as I've been using SWX, since 2001+ SP0. I've had 3 different computers since then too, with three different video cards so I don't see how this could be hardware releated.

Has anyone else seen this problem? How do you fix it?

Reply to
Mickey Reilley

you've discovered my favorite SW "feature"...it's been there since 2001+, and maybe before.

there is a work-around--open the part, and edit the sketch associated with the errant dimension. Grab the dim and move it someplace--you don't need to change it--just move it. Rebuild the part, go back to the drawing, and the dim will be in the right place. Alternatively, as you noted, you can use ref dims. The bug only seems to affect rotated features, not extrusion

I've had parts made incorrectly due to this bug--the errant dim happened to end up pointing at a different line, and the machinist made the part to the print. It's cost me about $500 in real money, not just time. Happily, it was $500, and not $5,000. The response from my VAR is that because there's a work-around it isn't considered a major issue....

I've learned the hard way to proofread my drawings alot more closely than I should have to--personally, I consider it a major problem that SW will generate dwgs that are just flat wrong--SW apparently doesn't agree

Reply to
Michael

You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to have to try that one with our customers.

We've almost been burned by this issue too. Luckily, the vendor noticed that the drawing didn't match the model before they cut chips. That response is ridiculous.

Reply to
Dave L

I'll allow my VAR to remain anonymous, but as it happens we changed ~ 18 months ago, and I've had the same response from both the current and the old one...

The same answer from two independant sources, togethor with the fact that the bug goes back at least two years, tells me that it is coming from SW. I'd be happy to hear otherwise, but won't be holding my breath

Reply to
Michael