Tool Body Cuts?

Is there a way to create a swept cut through an existing body along a helical path using a solid (rather than a profile sketch) as the cutting tool? This general sort of operation is central to the function of CAM programs (removing material with a tool body), so I believe the geometry kernel should be able to solve the feature.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mike

Reply to
gh

Tiny increment pattern your cutter toolbody along the tool path. Now, what's a kernel again?

Reply to
inebrium

Your CNC programer probably only needs the centerline displacement diagram. Pattern a cylindrical extrude cut along a path is also an interesting technique but tends to really slow things down with a high pattern increment. I've also tried sweep with guide surface but not too sure about the resulting geometry and get errors especially for closed loops.

Reply to
jmather

To create a realistic tool path you have to do it in incremental steps. I had started to do this using the API once and got it working on a 2d path and it worked pretty well. I would have to check where I left off with it. I have quite a bit more experience now I might be able to get further with it. The key is you have to sweep it and revolve at each corner. Sweep the profile along a path and whenever there is a sharp corner or a corner with a radius smaller than the tool radius you have to create a cut revolve. You end up with alot of features but a pretty accurate tool path. CAM systems use a lower accuracy level than a CAD system. Normally to get a quick toolpath cut through a part you have to use around +-.004" accuracy. If you go down to .0005 you are conciderably slower. So for speed you sacrifice accuracy. SolidWorks on the otherhand is working with much higher accuracy.

Regards, Corey Scheich

snipped-for-privacy@pct.edu wrote:

CS