Renaming configs

Another one that pi.ses me: SW will not let you rename a config if the said config is used in an assy. But if you close the assy, rename the config, SW will find the good config
and change its name in the assy.
Should not it be only a warning "This config is used ..., are you sure you want to rename it?" ? Or am I missing something?
TIA JM SW 2006 SP5
Ya even i face similar problems.you cannot rename the configuration of a part even if you have the drawing of that part opened.you must close the drawing file before you rename it. anyone knowing a trick to escape this???????????????
saurabh
Jean Marc wrote:

Pees me off too.
John H
Method 1. Suppress the part in the assembly. Rename the config. Unsuppress the part in the assembly.
If a drawing is open you might have to do a rebuild or close it. Drawings have a way of maintaining a lock on referenced parts that is harder to unlock than just an assembly does.
Method 2. Copy and rename the config in the part. Select the new config in the assembly or drawing. Rebuild. Then delete the config in the part. Downside is that custom properties may not copy.
FWIW I don't think SW should be this way. Why is it I can rename a whole part using save as, but it can't track a configuration change in the same way?

A good one, better that what I do, close the assy. Except if there is a bunch of the same part....

I do that sometimes, too.

I usually organize my feature tree so all parts are in numerical order. Then I can select a block of the same and suppress at one time.