OT-incompatible fax machines???

I have an HP 5510 all-in-one printer/fax. I have been noticing that there are some folks that I just cannot send a fax to. Others I have no problems with. Are their flavors of fax machines that will not speak to each other? If so-does anybody know which flavor is compatible with the most other flavors?? just wondering????

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

jk, Try slowing the fax machine connection speed, (in the Fax setup menu) maybe you are try to connect to a older real slow machine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Several possibilities come to mind, do you have your phone number set to display on outgoing faxes? My fax ignores incomming calls from machines without the ID displayed (sent) which eliminates almost all junk. I have also found that it was necessary to have the number that you are sending to programmed into your machine (for 1 button dialing) rather than dialing it at the time of sending. This is only true for some fax machines and I wouldn't even guess why this helps.

Gary

Reply to
gk

The possibility that comes to mind is that your HP all in one is a P.O.S. I have a HP 5610 all in one and it is the worst tech piece of equipment that I have ever purchased. For real though I would try the fax speed.

KM

Reply to
KMaren

" The possibility that comes to mind is that your HP all in one is a P.O.S. "

That is the exact sort of confirmation I was looking for. I had suspected that for some time. I have been fighting it since I bought it-starting with erroneous set up data on their CD which required me to download a 479mb file just to install it.

Anyway-thanks for all the replies. I'll try the fax speed idea before spending more $$$ on a new one. In case I decide to scrap it-recommendations anyone?

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Hi John,

i would like to give you my oppinion on faxes:

In our company we consider incoming faxes as a reliable indicator that the company who sent it is outfashioned. We never receive requests via fax that seem to be worth to be answered. But if there is one fax that does not look too dinky, you can take it for granted that communication on this topic or project will be unefficient and annoying.

In the meantime we completely kicked out our fax machines and connected an old pc to the fax-line. This pc is remoted and accessible during our regular business-time. Faxes that reached us overnight were

100 % spam faxes. Serious fax-requests are now handled like emails. (easy to archive or easy to dump)

good luck

Jojo

choose whisely Indy ;-)

"John Kreutzberger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
JOJO

I also consider faxing to be fairly obsolete. The reason I want a multi-function unit is just so that I can help out friends who need me to fax things for them. For my business, I seldom use it.

I am on the board of a dog rescue group that needs to be able to send and recieve faxes. That is the main reason I keep one around.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger