Mitutoyo linear scale for DRO

Greetings,

On ebay, I recently purchased a used Mitutoyo 800 mm linear scale for my UDR220 counter. It arrived here and looks brand new. The sliding portion (reading head?) seems to rock about with some slop but it slides back and forth nicely and reads perfectly. Does this sound normal for a scale? I haven't had one in my hands before. Also, a machinist friend told me they can be difficult to install. It looks rather straight forward to me, but I was wondering if there were any pitfalls that don't appear obvious to me. I haven't found any generic installation instructions anywhere. And finally, I'm looking for a couple of shorter scales for this counter, somewhere in the 300 mm range -- any ideas on where I could go looking to find a good used one, other than Mitutoyo?

Thanks for any input.

al.

Reply to
Al MacDonald

You didn't say if you have a manual for your UDR Counter. I had a UDR 100 unit and the manual specified which scales would work with the unit.

The UDR 100 manual showed user selected internal jumper settings for the types of scales, and features for the display (diameter, etc).

The heads of most optical-quartz/glass linear scales are wobbly, as the actual optical reader is held by a vibration dampening suspension system. There are some relatively critical specifications for mounting the head and scale relative positions.

I think you'll find some typical scale dimension specs contained in the DRO System literature, but maybe it won't have the mounting tolerances

The AT211 literature might be more specific.

A good reference site is

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Wild Bill

I suspect that this is normal. They do seem to be awfully sloppy for such a precise instrument. There should be a whisker of Spring Steel (?) that is about an inch and a half long that holds it in position. So, even though there is a lot of transverse slop, there should be no axial movement.

Reply to
George

I wasn't sure enough to say earlier, but the UDR 200 needs to have sinewave differential scale signals. This means that the more common TTL scales won't work with your counter. You'd be better off getting Mitutoyo scales that are compatible with this counter.

Also, Mitutoyo makes some scale/encoder adapters for certain units. I think there is a list on the UK site mentioned earlier.

Long scales should be supported along their length (or near the center) for the best results.

I don't have any scale installation specs in my files, but maybe someone will offer to send you a photocopy or fax of the installation specs.