DRO scale repairs

Anyone have any helpful suggestions as to who can repair a Mitutoyo DRO scale read head? It appears to be made from 3 or 4 plug together items, Mitutoyo will do it for a fee of 'no more than' about 150 quid if I send them the whole scale. Is there any other way?

Cheers Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

It's possible depending on the head, to substitute the internal electronics for those of a caliper. I have done this on cheap import scales, but not the likes of Mitutoyo. If you don't fancy attempting it yourself, contact me off group.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

Joules

Reply to
Joules

Thanks for that - do you mean keeping the scale itself?

It's an AT115 scale, I reckon that if I can isolate which part has failed Mitutoyo may be willing to sell me that part alone, but they don't seem interested in helping to isolate it (not surprising). I could swap bits between it & the other scale, but that wouldn't be a five minute job ( a 1.5 metre scale at the back of the lathe bed, with shields etc sealed in place). I do have a 'spare' AT11 scale from a PL331 counter,which is a bit too long, does anyone know whether it would work with my KL counter box? The plugs are different & would have to be changed.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Yep, hang onto the scale and try swapping the head components, with eg a

6" caliper if it is the same components, or buy as short a scale as you can and swap the head over. That should still work out cheaper than Mitutoyo dealing with it. The data coming out of the scale is serial, so it should only require a different lead to fit to the other box...(I assume !!!)

Joules

Reply to
Joules