Re: Has Anyone Noticed...

that all the new CAM technology (64 bit, major user interface

> enhancement, less modal programming, etc.) are showing up in > applications that run inside of SolidWorks rather than in stand > alone CAM systems?

So CAM technology is being developed to work with popular entry level CAD technology. That's what you get when software development is driven primarily by marketing desires. Nothing ground breaking here, same old same old.

Machining modules written to run in Autocad and Cadkey, for example, have been available for eons. Again, old ideas, different software.

Nothing is ground breaking with this "new" CAM technology either, its simply already existing technology dressed up in a new wardrobe. However, in most cases the wardrobe is incomplete.

Reply to
Black Dragon

The people who are demanding the "integration", including yourself, should be, in my opinion, looking at the already existing integrated applications available. Applications which have been available for decades therefore making them mature. Applications, which in the end are much more cost effective than a mish mash of cobbled together CAD and CAM programs could ever hope to be.

Cliff posted good reasons why all these add ons are not a good idea. I'm just going to say I've been there and done that and he's right. This time.

Working with imported data has improved by several orders of magnitude over the past two decades. It's a very rare occasion I get bad geometry I have to f*ck with first to be able to machine from these days. When I do it's usually data that has been imported and exported from several different systems as well as being scaled back and forth between inch and metric.

That is not in any way a reflection of any flaws in the particular applications being used, it is a flaw in the decision making abilities of the brain damaged people who let these things happen.

Reply to
Black Dragon

When the data is kept in house and local, it can be controlled. Once it is sent over seas that control is lost.

Reply to
Black Dragon