Re: sectioning at this position

bob z. could somewhat (somewhat?) understand this error if he was *actually*

> sectioning something. bob z. just picked a plane and then hit the section

But Bob Z. _was_ actually sectioning something. Section view does actually a cut with surface. The cut may fail for a very famous reason - if the resulting body has zero-thickness geometry somewhere. This is quite a rare situation, indeed, but I believe you can find the point causing the problen. Usually this happens if the sectioning plane is tangent to a cylindral surface. However, I have seen a model which did not section even though the geometry was rather simple and the section plane was not tangent to any surface... In that case it was a kind of bug.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

much clearer now! bob z. did not realize that it is a true cut. makes plenty of sense. there is a part in this model that is very complex. it has to be the culprit...

thanks a lot!

Reply to
bob zee

I was not aware of this either. I thought it was performing a hide behind plane.

We have run into the same type of situation a few times also. It usually occurred in a lofted part that had some blemishes(in accuracies) in it. Once we fixed the transitions it seemed to work out.

Bill

Reply to
SWuser

I suspect that this changed at the same time the ability was added to select the faces generated by the section operation. No reason to have two pieces of code that do the same thing?

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley