unsectioned component in assembly [2001]

Hi,

Is it possible to lay out a sectioned view in a drawing leaving a given component unsectioned [ I mean not cut, not just unhatched] , for instance the battries in a torchlight.

Thanks

Reply to
kenny

Sounds like you need a simplified rep, look it up in the help.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

In the side window that pops up when you modify the cross-hatching, there should be a choice for "exclude".

Reply to
Jeff

You can either exclude components from being sectioned (it's in the section properties menu) or increase the section line spacing so you can't see any section lines in that component, which then just gives an outline of the part.

Reply to
John Wade

I know this. What I want is NOT to cut a given component in a section and see it whole such as the battery and lamp but have the case sectioned. I've seen drawings that do this, but not proeng.

Reply to
kenny

It can be done as previously stated but it's mildly confusing. Suggest you set up a couple of sectioned Iso (easy to see what's going on) views and play with it a bit. I think the simplest way to go about it is to modify the hatch (exclude or restore) in the drawing view then RMB on the sheet and select Update Sheet. If you have more than one view based off of the same XSEC, believe you'll have to do them individually (the changes are not propogated to model XSEC). You can also work in the model (View Manager) and subsequently placed views will conform to how ever you have the XSEC configured. If you change XSEC in model you'll have to manually edit the hatch and update existing views to get them to show the changes. Think that's approx how it all works, anyway. 8~)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

When you first set up a cross section, you have choices of what to section and the kind of section and sectioning methods, including Planar, Offset and Zone. I think you can accomplish NOT sectioning certain components with a Zone by creating a quilt that encompasses the components you want to section, then selecting this as your Zone definition. There are other methods of creating a zone by referencing planes and component surfaces. There is some stuff in Assembly help on zones pertaining to sectioning. It may be of some help, hopefully it won't be so big of a struggle that you give up and just start erasing lines in the drawing. I'd like to hear how the zone business works.

Reply to
David Janes

I think it's a bit poor that the component excluded from the section still gets cut.

Reply to
dakeb

I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick then. I know everyone hates binaries on NGs, so maybe if you could post the url of a picture like the one you want to make I'd be able to help you?

Reply to
John Wade

it is indeed. Or did I miss something eventually?

"Exclude" does only exclude the part from hatching, not from the section. How to display e. g. shafts in a sectioned gearbox - hatching excluded?

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

I haven't the means of posting this at the moment, but think of batteries and a bulb in a torch sectioned down the middle, the effect is like sectioning the body and hatching and overlaing the battery and bulb in place. You will see the name on the battery and the full filament of the bulb.

Reply to
kenny

That really does sound like the 'exclude component' in the section properties box. You need to update the view to see the full effect, until then it just looks like an unhatched sectioned part.

Reply to
John Wade

Yes, John is quite right, if you exclude a component and then update the view it reverts to it's full unsectioned state.

Reply to
dakeb