3D Geometry Scans

Hello,

(just curious) does anybody here know something about an inexpensive 3D scanning device for ProE?

I´m doing CAD services for electronics housing, and I´d very much like to make all that measuring of components a single shot process.

Btw., I´m on UNIX - to complicate things a little.

TIA

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

Define *expensive*

The guys we use have a bruckman scanner on a faro arm, which has accuracy of about 0.1mm and will scan really big things, but I have seen of late some desktop scanners which would be great for mobile phone enclosures and so on.

Scope out the Roland LPX250, I think it's 'affordabe' - no unix support, so you may need to budget another grand for a PC...

Reply to
John Wade

Thanks, John!

inexpensive - that is e. g. something that does not exceed a tenth of the costs of a single proE seat. Better say 1/100...

that one is 10,000.- $ - not quite cheap, then.

Their web site offers download of sample data only after having collected a _lot_ of data first - but fails with some cryptic message... Good intro, guys! I love companies that do not make a long masquerade so one immediately knows where better _not_ to get a product from.

Anyway, I looked for 3Dscan at ebay - there are a lot of el-cheapo taiwanese 3D scanning devices I could play around with first, making up some "driver" to gather 3D data on a unix box myself.

I always have to re-model imported geometry in ProE, since it is not possible to modify anything - a 3D scan thingie is just for fun.

Cheers

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu