3D File converter

Hello,

does anybody know it there are (free?) 3D file conversion utils available from CAD to animation, esp. Pro/E -> Ligtwave 5 ?

And, of course, IRIX... until now, we have good results using a slp export from Pro/E, slp2pov and povray. Now I´m just curious about lightwave´s capabilities, if I were able to import from Pro/E.

The only thing I´ve heard of so far is PolyTrans (Okino), but it seems to be for newer versions of lightwave and it is _not_ IRIX.

Any hint appreciated!

Kind Regards

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

Sorry, I have to correct me: there´s some pt_irix, too. Great! They even have a demo version downloadable... Let´s see.

I´d still like to find out about a free conversion tool ...

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

any link to demo?

Reply to
nicte

I don't know anything about Lightwave but I can tell you that Wildfire has significantly better import-export capabilities. I hate that "browser interface" junk - why are software companies always always about three years behind on the latest fad ? - but some things in W-Fire really are better.

If you can tell me what Lightwave likes to import I could look or even send you a few models to try ...

Reply to
Excitable Boy
[...]

Try

Walther Mathieu

The free version of Pro-E Desktop Express has loads of import/export options as well, you'll need a winders box to run it of course :( Can't Lightwave import IGES or STEP ?

Reply to
Neil Rothwell

you need okino polytrans i think there is a free demo available on their site

it is limited the full release is around 200 dollars but it is well worth it to get cad info int things like maya lightwave 3d studio

Reply to
mikemcdermid

Bad news for all of you Pro/Desktop users : no longer free. There *was* sort of an announcement and *if* you got your application in by December 21st (or thereabouts, forget the exact date) then you got a license good for five years.

Otherwise, kaput.

Reply to
Excitable Boy

yes, tried me that... good program (command line only) but 495$.

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

I have tried this once, it ate holes in my models so was quite annoying. Although it did convert them, I'll give it that much. Like trying to use Maya PLE with the watermark over everything ;)

Reply to
Jonathan